• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Incoming August northumberland trip for a week. Advice sought (1 Viewer)

Steve_Halstead

Sparrow or Crow?
I am the doyen of forward planning. In August I am coming up for a week to near boulmer. What are the birding Meccas you would suggest?

Many thanks

Steve bb

Edit - farne is blatant!

Last edited:
Will you have transport available? If you have a car, you can cover a wide range of places. From the south of Northumberland heading north, for example:

Newbiggin: Church point for seawatching
Cresswell: Pond (for wildfowl, waders and warblers) and beach
Druridge Bay: variety of habitats: ponds (Druridge Pools), dunes, farmland
East Chevington: more wetland habitat
Hauxley nature reserve
Amble: for boat trips to Coquet Island (roseate tern)
Low Newton and Beadnell bay
Seahouses for the Farne Islands
Budle Bay
Lindisfarne/Holy Island

Inland, there are several places worth a visit:
Kielder water and forest
The Cheviots and the valleys in the area, e.g. Harthope valley, Upper Coquetdale near Alwinton, College valley
Harwood Forest

I am using phone so I can not give massive replies at the mo.

Will be at alnmouth, have car.

Thank you for your effort, will type a better message later

Thanks for the reply,

I am staying in Alnmouth, the place looks pretty wild and fun to be fair, Coquet Island looks brilliant. Having never seen puffins, its something I must do.

I can not bloody wait!

When in August? Puffins are leaving by mid-August.

Even so, a boat trip to the Farnes is surely one of the country's best wildlife experiences.

I have four people to thank,

1. Lazza from the forum with a very kind PM of details
2. @stewchat (twitter) for the most amazingly annotated maps
3. Gary aka Beadnellbirder with his blog and very helpful links
4. Gill for letting my missus say "see, I told you that it was the right place to go" (an ignominious situation if ever I knew it) if you knew her you would understand.

Thank you for all the information.

To be honest, I am over the moon to see my first puffin ever, but the rest, I will walk, swim and dig for as per usual.

Over the moon with the help!

You're very welcome! We're proud of what we've got up here! And hopefully it will be your first thousand puffins...

Oh yes....you can't see just one! Zillions of the little burgers zooming all over the place :-O

Glad you found Gary's blog too :t: Tell your missus she'll love the scenery and relaxation and the pub grub at Low Newton is fabulous! :t:

I'd avoid Kielder/Cheviots/Harwood in late July/early August. All excellent March-May(June) but not particularly good mid-Summer. Stick to the Farnes, Coquet Island, Druridge Bay and other coastal sites and you'll not go far wrong :t:

cheers
martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back