• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phonescoping ! (1 Viewer)

jpoyner

Scotland
A fascinating article on Surfbirds on use of mobile phones with scopes. I was amazed by the quality of the photos (see the Snow Bunting!)

Without doubt I think this is going to be the next "BIG THING!" I see that adaptors are already becoming available.
The attraction being the immediacy of it, now it is possible without much cost to send a photo online instantly as you stand there watching the bird.
Ten years ago the stuff of science fiction, who would have believed it!

We'll soon be watching websites showing "live" video images/photos from twitches, it's already being done. Amazing stuff, long gone are the days of racing to the nearest phonebox.

JP

Hi JP

It will certainly help when a birds ID is called into question & you need help from an acknowledged expert,just send the photo & get answer there & then in the field.Its amazing how far technology has come.

Regards Steve.

Yes, this is very interesting and possibly more affordable than digiscoping if to a lesser extent of lesser quality. I think, as with any new photographic phenomena, with a bit of twiddleing, phonescoping can and most probably will become the birders tool of choice!!
I'm just interested to know about how one can get their hands on the required adaptors or must they be self-fashioned????

Waiting in anticipation,

Stevo,

Off topic but how did you get that moving picture to work? My wolf gif is supposed to howl at the moon but it just appears as a picture when I uploaded it?

JP

M Cowming said:
Yes, this is very interesting and possibly more affordable than digiscoping if to a lesser extent of lesser quality. I think, as with any new photographic phenomena, with a bit of twiddleing, phonescoping can and most probably will become the birders tool of choice!!
I'm just interested to know about how one can get their hands on the required adaptors or must they be self-fashioned????

Waiting in anticipation,

I think that as with digiscoping the adaptors will start to appear on the market very soon. I agree that for producing photos for online viewing it is going to overtake digiscoping, judging by the quality that is already achievable. The pixelation quality of phone photos is increasing rapidly and is already quite capable of producing an excellent image for viewing on a monitor.

JP

Hi JP

I just downloaded the Gif from the Iron Maiden website(freebie) why or how it is animated I`m afraid I don`t know.Perhaps someone with more techno knowledge can answer.

Regards Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back