• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Days with the Panasonic GH3 (1 Viewer)

Neil

I took the plunge to get the GH3 just a few days after the GH4 was announced. Having played with it for a few days I'm happy so far.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/slrs/panasonic_dmcgh3
Today I updated the Firmware for the camera and the lenses that I have from my days with the G1 and GF1.
I bought the camera in Singapore and the only lens I had with me was an old Leica 35/1.4 so I bought an adapter and tested it out.
I also tested some other Leicas,Nikons,Voigtlander,Zeiss(Nik) today.
I mainly wanted it for the powerful video features , up to 72 mbs at 25p and 50 mbs at 50p. In comparison the Sony Nexes only shoot 28 mbs at 50p. A lot more detail is being captured.
It also has built in Time-lapse which I used to shoot this time-lapse from my hotel room in Singapore and processed in a 4k Timeline.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CtiMRS4Tdw&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share
Weather in Hong Kong is terrible at the moment (cold and wet) so I will not have a chance for a lot of photography for a few days.
More soon,
Neil
ps attached photos taken with the 20/1.7 lens

Attachments

• Northpoint HK street GH3 20mm_1110771.jpg
    Northpoint HK street GH3 20mm_1110771.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Northpoint HK street GH3 20mm_1110775.jpg
    Northpoint HK street GH3 20mm_1110775.jpg
    577.8 KB · Views: 103
Neil,

Thanks for providing links to your video clips. I have been impressed with what I have seen so far from your first trials with the GH3. The quality looks very good and I would be interested to see some results using the ETC with longer focal length lenses.

Mike

Neil,

Thanks for providing links to your video clips. I have been impressed with what I have seen so far from your first trials with the GH3. The quality looks very good and I would be interested to see some results using the ETC with longer focal length lenses.

Mike

Mike
If the weather clears I'll get out this weekend. I'm planning to shoot with the Nikon 70-200/2.8 AFS Vr and the 300/4 AF. I'll compare them with the Panasonic 100-300 zoom.
Neil

Thanks very much, Neil. I look forward to seeing your test results. I am particularly interested in how it performs with the Panasonic 100-300 as I am toying with the idea of buying a GH3 and that lens.

Mike

Bob, I have a GH2 and I felt that your report sounded weird. I therefore just tested, and on my camera I get a live view between images, but no review image. I then remembered that I had to switch to medium speed on the setting for shooting in series: I could not get that live view on the highest pictures per second.

Therefore, if you have not played around, try to change that setting.

Niels

I haven't posted anything on this thread for a while but I have been the GH3 almost every day, mostly for video.
I'm still finding the 100-300 mm lens to be an adequate lens for general shooting.
Here are a couple of recent videos.
This Sydney video was close up 5-9 meters
https://vimeo.com/93149608
and the Pied Avocets were 40-60 meters which is about the max for this lens.
https://vimeo.com/95497618
Neil.

Attachments

• friarbird bathe Syd GH3 100-300mm_1270416.jpg
    friarbird bathe Syd GH3 100-300mm_1270416.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 76
  • waterlily GH3 100-300mm_1230900.jpg
    waterlily GH3 100-300mm_1230900.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 68
  • intermediate egret GH3 100-300mm_1230681.jpg
    intermediate egret GH3 100-300mm_1230681.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 72
I have the GH3 and Panasonic 100-300mm, my main criticism is the ability to follow birds due to the fact that a review, of your previous shot, pops up in the viewfinder and you have have no idea where the bird has gone. There appears to be no way of turning this review off.

These are some shots taken with the GH3 and the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom

Panasonic GH3

Bob
any autofocus issue with GH3 pl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back