• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Episkuniospingus, Exospingus, Paranospiza (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
Can anyone supply publication details of the original diagnoses of the new thraupid genera Episkuniospingus, Exospingus, and Paranospiza (see parent forum Thraupidae #15), name the type species of Episkuniospingus, and provide etymologies?
With thanks in advance.

Just an idea ...

I´m not sure, but aren´t those three names from; Wolters, H E. 1980. Die Vogelarten der Erde. Eine systematische Liste mit Verbreitungsangaben sowie deutschen und englischen Namen?

At least Wolter's seem to have used those ... as well as similar names; see link here.

Of their various etymologies I know even less.

Good luck in finding them!

According to the internet the Greek: "πισκ νιος (episkunios) literally means having a heavy eyebrow" or "supercilious".
I haven´t goy a clue of if it really does, or if this description fits the type species, but it could be a hint ...+ spingus/Gr.spingos (finch)

And I think Richard is on the right track, in Paranospiza being a toponym, but if it does refer to the District Paraná in Southeast Brazil or either one of the South American rivers Rio Paraná or the Rio Paranã (both flows throught Brazil) ... I don´t know.

And I think Richard is on the right track, in Paranospiza being a toponym, but if it does refer to the District Paraná in Southeast Brazil or either one of the South American rivers Rio Paraná or the Rio Paranã (both flows throught Brazil) ... I don´t know.
Poospiza thoracica occurs in Paraná state, but in the highlands well to the east of the Paraná River.

I´m not sure, but aren´t those three names from; Wolters, H E. 1980. Die Vogelarten der Erde. Eine systematische Liste mit Verbreitungsangaben sowie deutschen und englischen Namen?

At least Wolter's seem to have used those ... as well as similar names; see link here.

Of their various etymologies I know even less.

Good luck in finding them!

Yeah, difficult to find much mention of these names using google. I'd really like a rummage through Wolter's publication - it sounds like a great name resource

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back