• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Easterly winds (1 Viewer)

Gonçalo Elias

avesdeportugal.info
Portugal
Starting tomorrow (March 7th) wind will be blowing from the east. This is likely to bring some trans-Saharan migrants to coastal locations in Portugal.

Starting tomorrow (March 7th) wind will be blowing from the east. This is likely to bring some trans-Saharan migrants to coastal locations in Portugal.

I was out at Sagres today hoping that maybe one or two species would arrive ahead of these winds - but no. I'm sure there will be a few new birds fo the year in the coming days - like you say.

We did manage 4 Ring Ouzels, a Richard's Pipit and nice confiding singing male Spectacled Warbler in 22ºC, calm and sunny. We've been missing real warmth recently!

I had 12 Ring Ouzels last week at Foia. Maybe wintering individuals?

I would thinks so though this winter there seems to have been fewer around the Sagres peninsula than other recent winters. The ones on Foia seem to enjoy the Hawthorn berries whilst around Sagres their food of choice is undoubtedly Phoenician Juniper Juniperus phoenicea (sometimes named Juniperus turbinata in Portuguese flora). A bird was seen near Zambujeira further up the coast on 23rd Feb by Tib - where there is also plenty of the juniper. It seems their winter occurrence is restricted to the southwest coastal cliff top Juniper scrub and on Foia, where there isn't any juniper - I believe.

Of course at this time of year they could be migrants though its normal to find (but not always easy!) birds through the winter period.

Today I fould a male Northern Wheatear in full breeding plumage at Sagres harbour.

This is one of the earliest records ever of this species in Portugal.

Attachments

• oen-oen-ge-sagres.jpg
    oen-oen-ge-sagres.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 78
Today I fould a male Northern Wheatear in full breeding plumage at Sagres harbour.

This is one of the earliest records ever of this species in Portugal.

Nice records - we don't even see that many on spring passage down here on any date. Of course in autumn there are masses everywhere.

What do you think they are feeding on? I normally found them on Hawthorns a km or so west of there.

Hi Simon, I am not sure but they were mostly on the large Pine trees.

Other recent records:

10 March - Purple Heron at Vilamoura
11 March - 2 Woodchat Shrike near Lagos
12 March - Purple Heron + Night Heron at Dunas Douradas lagoon; Subalpine Warbler and Wryneck at Quinta do Lago.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back