• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tena lodging options (1 Viewer)

gdhunter

I'm putting together a 2015 independent birding tour for a few friends, and will undoubtedly be seeking advice in this forum. The first two weeks or so are likely to be devoted to the temperate (and paramo) zones around Papalacta (including days at Guango Lodge), the subtropical zone around Baeza (possibly working from Cabanas San Isidro), and the tropical & subtropical zones around Tena. For the latter I'm considering a hotel near Misahualli called Banana Lodge. I believe Misahualli is reasonably close to Jatun Sacha.

We're also considering Gareno Lodge for at least two nights. I've received some positive feedback about the place (especially the birding) but at least one very helpful resource has strongly advised against it, citing concerns about accommodations and service.

I'm wondering if anyone who has recently visited Gareno Lodge might be willing to share observations (positive or negative) about the experience.

Thanks.

Gary Hunter

While I can't speak from personal experience, my parents went to Gareno 6 or 7 years ago. The conditions at the time were very primitive. The generator needed for water was very unreliable, and dinner was by candlelight, which brought in scores of insects. You had to cover your drink glass, or drink bichos, and they tried not to think about the ones they were eating. At the time, the lodge was preparing foundations for new cabins, but I don't think anything ever came of it. Last we heard, the conditions had gotten worse, not better, and the bridge may no longer be operable.

But....they had good birding, including Harpy Eagles. Overall, it was not a place they would recommend.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back