• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uffmoor Wood Yellow-browed (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Just in case any locals haven't been for this bird, may I highly recommend a visit to see it?

It shows extremely well, though can be difficult to find, as it feeds alone in holly bushes and trees at the extreme SE end of the wood.

It hadn't been calling much during its stay, but seems to have recently started doing so. Yesterday (26th March), I picked it up on call, and it showed for ages feeding in hedges and trees adjacent to the path. When it calls, it can do so for a couple of minutes at a time, loudly and from the top of the trees.

When it shows, it can do so on the ground in the leaf litter, and is fearless. The first time I saw it, it flew in and landed on a bramble les than 6 feet from my legs, then proceeded to feed on the ground for another minute or two, again within feet.

It can be quite active, but if you stand quietly and wait, it will come to you.

It now has one hell of a greater covert wingbar, and lovely orange feet.

What a great bird!

Note: the car park (accessed along the lane off the A456 just before Hayley Green roundabout) is closed. A sign says that West Mercia Police closed it due to vandalism.... There are few other places to park safely in the immediate vicinity, but there are a couple of laybys nearby. You have to access it westbound, as it is off a dual carriageway.

Attached a map and a couple of pics from yesterday. Remember - quietly does it!!!

Attachments

• uffmoor.jpg
    uffmoor.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 124
  • ybw1-uffmoor-26mar14.jpg
    ybw1-uffmoor-26mar14.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 129
  • ybw2-uffmoor-26mar14.jpg
    ybw2-uffmoor-26mar14.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 112
Sounds like it was closed due to some sort of nocturnal activities......;)

The question is - when will they open it again? Does the activities of a selfish minority rule the interests of the majority? You could write to your MP but i do'nt suppose they would appreciate the irony!

It was probably a couple of off-duty coppers, let's hope there was a female involved:eek!:

Nice shots, will go again at the weekend as the weather is better for cycling.

Laurie:t:

Sounds like it was closed due to some sort of nocturnal activities......;)

The question is - when will they open it again? Does the activities of a selfish minority rule the interests of the majority? You could write to your MP but i do'nt suppose they would appreciate the irony!

It was probably a couple of off-duty coppers, let's hope there was a female involved:eek!:

Nice shots, will go again at the weekend as the weather is better for cycling.

Laurie:t:

..Or two ...or more....cue Benny Hill....LOL.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

Ha ha ....

Keith :t:

It's great that so many birders have been able to get good views - I've been back a couple of times since January and on both occasions it has decided to play hard to get! Wonder how long it will stay around for?

Regards
Sam Clement

Just a quick update on the Yellow Browed. It is still showing well at times and calling frequently, today at least at the top of the trail. It seems to favour the tree covered in holly

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back