• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Bunting - can anyone help? (1 Viewer)

Doug

This bunting (I presume it is a Bunting) was observed at Donna Nook on the 10th Feb - feeding on the shore marsh. Snow and Lapland Buntings are here at present but I have never seen either before and I dont think this looks like either according to the Collins Guide but I am a newbie. What is your opinion please. I have another equally bad shot I will attach to another message. Thanks for your help!

PS Sorry forgot to attach photo to previous post!! It isn't a Twite is it, on reflection?

Attachments

• donna nook 10.02.03 023.jpg
    donna nook 10.02.03 023.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 341
Here is the other picture of my unknown

Attachments

• donna nook 10.02.03 021.jpg
    donna nook 10.02.03 021.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 335
My apologies for the file size - I took it at full resolution and have tried saving it in various other formats but all, including gifs etc turned out bigger than the original -can we upload zipped files?

Not too white for a Skylark? Having said that the air was full of them on the day but this bird seemed so much lighter?

Doug,

FWIW, I too think it's Skylark, but as Steve hints, the files are a little on the large size.

Check out Andy Bright's Digiscoping Forum for advice on reducing file size while retaining image detail. What image processing software do you use at present ?

Tony

apologies on the file size - I really don't mind if the moderator removes the files - I am on broadband so it is okay for me but I don't want to frustrate anyone on a dial up - I used to get frustrated myself. Thanks for the opinions on the ID - I will get all the books out again and view Skylarks against the photo's

Doug said:
I use Adobe Elements 1

Is that a cut-down version (or a clone) of Photoshop ? If so, I believe there is an option on the save menu somewhere called 'Save for Web' or something similar, which enables you to reduce the file size without compromising quality. You could also try trimming the pix so that the subject is larger in the frame.

HTH

Tony

It is a cut down version by Adobe of Photoshop - I tried the save for web option but for some reason it nearly doubled the file size - I tried .gif too as well as resaving as a jpeg, but all were considerably bigger. I will have a look at Andy's methods because most of my shots I take on full resolution which do produce large files.

I wondered about pipit, too, but the bird in the pix had unstreaked flanks, which makes Skylark more likely.

Tony

Hello - I use Photoshop Elements too - what I do is simply resize the picture using the "resize" option under "image" (about 25cms width is fine), then "save as", and move the JPEG quality slider to number 3. Dont forget to save the picture under a different name though, this will mean that you retain the original, otherwise you will lose it....

Then post the new file....

I think that would work....

Cheers

Hi Doug,
This is a Skylark.All buntings can be ruled out on the bill and a number of plumage features,and Woodlark can be ruled out due to tail length,supercilia not meeting on nape,lack of dark patch on carpals etc.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back