• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critique CR trip and help find guides (1 Viewer)

Hi everybody,

This is getting very close to last minute so I understand things might be more difficult than normal but I'm looking for some direction on my planned trip and recommendations for guides.

Apr 13 --> Arrive at SJO at 11:45 AM --> Clear customs, quick snack, rent car drive to La Paz Waterfall, stay at hotel near La Paz

Apr 14 --> Day trip at Poas National Park --> Drive to new Hotel (this depends on next park we visit)

Apr 15 --> Day trip at either Castro Blanco or Braulio Carrillo (need help on this choice)

Apr 16 --> Early Bird Watching Tour with hanging bridges + Baldi Hot Springs

Apr 17 --> Night tour of Monteverde

Apr 18 --> Birding Monteverde

Apr 19 --> Free day in Monteverde Cloud Forest

Apr 20 --> Free day in Monteverde, Drive to SJO

Apr 21 --> Return car, Depart Costa Rica at 2:35 pm

Question 1 - Am I planning too much?
Question 2 - Should we go to Castro Blanco or Braulio Carrillo for birding?
Question 3 - Can somebody recommend guides for
  • Paos Nation Park
  • Monteverde
  • Castro Blanco / Braulio Carrillo
Question 4 - Is there consensus on which car rental place is best? I've read a fair amount about horror stories with rental cars in CR so I'll be getting full insurance and other than driving from La Paz to our hotel on the first name making sure we travel when its not night out.

I think it sounds like a good itinerary. To me, it seems like you have given yourself just enough room to drive between sites and should see a bunch of nice birds.

Since Juan Castro Blanco park has little access, I think you are better off visiting Braulio- it opens at 8 (and lately they have put a padlock on the gate to hinder people from going in before then) but you could go to El Tapir before then- $12 entrance fee but best chance at Snowcap, other nice hummingbirds, and can be good for tanagers and other birds. Birding on the trails can also be very good but there is a high density of small ticks due to the tapirs that use the trails.
Coming from Sarapiqui, take the highway back up towards San Jose and watch for the Arial Tram on the left. Then, a few minutes later, watch for a small clearing at the edge of the forest with a small sign and rather unkempt gardens. It's the only place like that after the Tram.

At Monteverde, I can't recommend enough the night tour at the Monteverde Wildlife Refuge- this is different that the reserve and IMO is better than the reserve.

Make time on the way back from Monteverde for dry forest species en route.

As for rental cars, a frequent bird forum participant had good luck with Wild Rider on his trips to CR.
Yes, no fun traveling at night.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back