• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Camcorder for general/digiscoping use (1 Viewer)

kennygee

My family want me to buy a camcorder for our family hols. I would want the new toy to earn its keep in my hobby. I am sure there have been lots of similar threads but not many survive after the crash.

My questions are:

1. Which camcorders have lens filter threads to mate with digiscoping adaptors? Do camcorders tend to need different attachment methods? I have a Kowa 823M scope and adapter, 21X and 32X eyepieces and 28mm and 52mm Kowa camera adapters. Are any models better in terms of vignetting than others?

2. Which cameras have good still image capabilities? What megapixel still images can I expect?

3. What are camcorders like for birding when used as standalone without a scope. What optical zoom should I go for?

I have a budget of £500 - £1000 and would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards

Ken

Hello Ken
May I suggest you perform a thread search using the word pc330. There are two threads which will cover most ground. There is a concensus that a low power eyepiece is needed for videoscoping. I have found that progressive scan recording gives quite good results for web sized still images. I have attached two frame grabs from my own setup: Zeiss85; Maxview40; PC330 to illustrate the quality of progressive scan recording.
Cheers, Dave

Attachments

• pc330_190205-1.jpg
    pc330_190205-1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 412
  • pc330_190205-2.jpg
    pc330_190205-2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 440
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I assume the PC350 is the replacement as the PC330 no longer seems to be available on WE. Is this correct as far as you know?

Cheers

Ken

kennygee said:
Thanks for the reply Dave.

I assume the PC350 is the replacement as the PC330 no longer seems to be available on WE. Is this correct as far as you know?

Cheers

Ken
Yes Ken, the PC350 is the latest version. It seems that the majority of companies are moving over to high definition DVs with more emphasis on widescreen capture.

PS: Here is an example of a still image captured from a PC330

Attachments

• pc330dunnock.jpg
    pc330dunnock.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 600
Cheers Dave

Nice shot - looks like that could be the one I need. For once I can buy some kit and my wife approves!!!

Does it take a filter and if so what size?

Ken

Ken
The filter size is 37mm. The posted images were taken with a Maxview 40mm eyepiece with a Zeiss bayonet adaptor. The PC330 has a 37mm-Tfilter adaptor which screws onto the Tthread of the Maxview eyepiece. I have no experience of any other adaptors.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back