• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN4 thread size? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I have a TS-601 (similar vintage to the TSN-4), I have measured the thread at the base of my eyepice as 41mm x 0.75mm pitch. The "genuine" Kowa digiscoping adaptor fits this thread on my scope. Don't know for certain that the TSN series has the same thread but if it measures 41mm across the peaks of the threads it's a fair bet that it is.

Hope this helps.

Duncan.

Duncan,

41mm sounds right for the TSN range; was quite dissapointed that 42mm extension tubes were a fraction too big for my 'scope - would have made a very cheap camera adapter! Perhaps there is an adapter for 42mm down to 41mm?

T2 mount + 42mm extension tubes + 42mm-41mm converter = @£30-40 - bargain!

Andy.

Yelvertoft said:
Hi,

I have a TS-601 (similar vintage to the TSN-4), I have measured the thread at the base of my eyepice as 41mm x 0.75mm pitch. The "genuine" Kowa digiscoping adaptor fits this thread on my scope. Don't know for certain that the TSN series has the same thread but if it measures 41mm across the peaks of the threads it's a fair bet that it is.

Hope this helps.

Duncan.

Thanks for the info. I was all prepared to purchase the Kowa digiscoping adapter but now feel that I want to improve my scope anyway, probably the Zeiss 85. Currently I'm using a 25x eyepiece with a Scopetronix adapter for astronomical eyepieces that seems to work well. THere is just enough of a ring in the eyepiece for the set screws on the adapter to work to keep it all in place.I was coming up with about 41.5 but then thought "why would anybody make such a size??"
Thx

Mark Ansell said:
Thanks for the info. I was all prepared to purchase the Kowa digiscoping adapter but now feel that I want to improve my scope anyway, probably the Zeiss 85. Currently I'm using a 25x eyepiece with a Scopetronix adapter for astronomical eyepieces that seems to work well. THere is just enough of a ring in the eyepiece for the set screws on the adapter to work to keep it all in place.I was coming up with about 41.5 but then thought "why would anybody make such a size??"
Thx

"Standard" sizes are 40.5mm and 42mm. I'm getting a friend with a lathe to make me an adaptor as there's no way I'm paying the huge sum for the "genuine" item. You could try contacting a small local engineering shop or a local "model engineering" society to get a custom adaptor made. I'm sure the cost would still be far less than the Kowa item(s) and a lot cheaper than a Zeiss 85, which would still require an adaptor buying on top.

Regards,

Duncan.

Yelvertoft said:
"Standard" sizes are 40.5mm and 42mm. I'm getting a friend with a lathe to make me an adaptor as there's no way I'm paying the huge sum for the "genuine" item. You could try contacting a small local engineering shop or a local "model engineering" society to get a custom adaptor made. I'm sure the cost would still be far less than the Kowa item(s) and a lot cheaper than a Zeiss 85, which would still require an adaptor buying on top.

Regards,

Duncan.

Hi Duncan! I'm not sure what you mean by 'Standard' sizes? Are you talking about standard thread sizes in general, or are you referring specifically to Kowa sizes?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back