• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

frigatebird question (1 Viewer)

Hi there. I was lucky enough to spend 4 days last week in the gorgeous town of Todos Santos, on the Pacific side of Baja California. It's about a 2 hour drive from the airport at Los Cabos. We were there primarily to view the grey whales, which are migrating right now. That was incredible, of course.

But the big surprise was how many cool birds we got to see. The place we stayed at had a lagoon which was separated from the ocean by a narrow beach. We saw a ton of birds,:eek:ne blue heron, egrets, coots, various duck-like things we didn't identify, cormorants...by far, the most incredible thing was seeing the frigatebirds. Most of the ones we saw circling all day appeared to be females. We saw a male with an all-black head and red throat pouch (uninflated, unfortunately), but only once.

The females would circle all day long near the cliffs adjacent to the beach. They would do this weird behavior very often, and I have looked everywhere but can't find a source telling me what it was and why they do it. Basically, they'd be gliding, circling on thermals. Then they would dive down a little way while doing something that looks like a fast shrugging of the shoulders and head. This motion was about 2 seconds long, maybe. Then they'd start to swoop back up and while they did that they swished their forked tail feathers from side to side quite briskly.

Does anyone know what that is all about? Also, do you know which kind of Frigatebird is native to that region? I am really new to the whole bird thing so I am not very knowledgeable yet. This Baja trip really made me eager to learn and see much more.

I'm studying to be a librarian and I'm ashamed I have not found the answer to my behavior question yet! Thanks in advance for your help.

{edited to add: we also saw some glossy ibis!}

Last edited:
librarygirl said:
Hi there. I was lucky enough to spend 4 days last week in the gorgeous town of Todos Santos, on the Pacific side of Baja California. It's about a 2 hour drive from the airport at Los Cabos. We were there primarily to view the grey whales, which are migrating right now. That was incredible, of course.

But the big surprise was how many cool birds we got to see. The place we stayed at had a lagoon which was separated from the ocean by a narrow beach. We saw a ton of birds,:eek:ne blue heron, egrets, coots, various duck-like things we didn't identify, cormorants...by far, the most incredible thing was seeing the frigatebirds. Most of the ones we saw circling all day appeared to be females. We saw a male with an all-black head and red throat pouch (uninflated, unfortunately), but only once.

The females would circle all day long near the cliffs adjacent to the beach. They would do this weird behavior very often, and I have looked everywhere but can't find a source telling me what it was and why they do it. Basically, they'd be gliding, circling on thermals. Then they would dive down a little way while doing something that looks like a fast shrugging of the shoulders and head. This motion was about 2 seconds long, maybe. Then they'd start to swoop back up and while they did that they swished their forked tail feathers from side to side quite briskly.

Does anyone know what that is all about? Also, do you know which kind of Frigatebird is native to that region? I am really new to the whole bird thing so I am not very knowledgeable yet. This Baja trip really made me eager to learn and see much more.

I'm studying to be a librarian and I'm ashamed I have not found the answer to my behavior question yet! Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd have thought Magnificent Frigatebird was much the most likely

Frigates

librarygirl said:

My guess, the Magnificant. Common to both sides of the peninsula. Second guess on behavior is that they were excreting salt from their salt glands. As they seldom have access to fresh water they need to rely on nasal salt glands to excrete salt.
Having said this I'll tell about an experience at Mulege, about 300 miles north of Todos Santos on the Sea of Cortez side. Was at one of the rare fresh water ponds in all of Baja. (missionaries had dammed an arroyo around 1700, and dam is still standing} Was sitting by pond watching a pair of Least Grebes when I heard a big commotion around a bend in the arroyo. Investigated and saw some 20 frigates in formation diving down to scoop up the only fresh water within 100 miles. More energy efficient than using salt glands
Frigates can't dive into water as other fish eaters and rely on harassing
others, such as gulls and boobies, into giving up their catch. Exception is flying fish. They can pick them out of the air. We used this when fishing for Dorado that also liked flying fish. Could see Frigates circling flying fish schools miles away, and make a run for them to pull a lure through the school.
Should you ever get to that part of the world again be sure to visit Mulege. Unbelievable birding. Open sea, 3 mile long tidal eastuary, 1/2 mil fresh water, irrigated fields, Sonoran desert. 5 habitats all within arms reach.
Craig

Frigates

I took these shots of frigatebirds at Johnston Atoll a few years back. Frigatebirds are one of my favorite seabirds and I love to watch them soar. In fact, I wish I was in Baja right now watching them! ;)

Attachments

• MaleFrigate.jpg
    MaleFrigate.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 133
  • FemaleFrigate.jpg
    FemaleFrigate.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 139
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back