• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland May Weekend (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

Hi all,

We are breaking away from our annual May weekend in Norfolk for a change and heading to Nurthumberland. We are booked into a pub on Lindisfarne on Friday Night and a B&B near Amble on Saturday night (16th and 17th)

We are travelling up from Yorkshire on Friday lunch time but haven't finalised an itinerary. We were thinking Harthorpe Valley on Friday pm, Lindisfarne early Saturday am and Coquet Island boat trip on Sunday, tides permitting, probably calling in at Saltholme on the way back.

Still struggling to fill the gaps, particularly Sat late morning/pm/evening as we head south. Seems like lots to do in Druridge Bay on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Any other recommendations for Friday and Saturday would be greatly appreciated. Upland birds for Friday and shorebirds etc for Saturday would be great. We are doing the Farnes in June so giving that a miss this time.

Don't want to seem greedy, just looking for options.

Thanks all,

Jonno

Harthope Valley for Friday p.m. is a good choice - lots of interesting habitat and birds all the way along the valley. Bearing in mind that safe crossing onto Holy Island isn't until 20:40 on Friday evening, I'd suggest going and having a look at the sea from Harkess Rocks (Stag Rock) - drive north past Bamburgh Castle and take the right turn just after the cricket pitch onto The Wynding. Drive along there until you come to a wide, narrow parking area.

Saturday morning the tide will be falling. Have a good look around the island and then, after lunchtime, check Budle Bay and Harkess Rocks (again) on the rising tide which will push any waders in towards you. The Long Nanny Burn, accessed along a footpath north from Newton Links, is always worth a visit. Then you've got the Druridge Bay reserves to split between Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Space in the hide at Cresswell tends to be a bit limited on a Sunday morning, so I'd be inclined to head there on Saturday. Then any/all of Hauxley, East Chevington and Druridge Pools on Sunday morning before your trip around Coquet.

Enjoy :t:

cheers
martin

Hi all,

We are breaking away from our annual May weekend in Norfolk for a change and heading to Nurthumberland. We are booked into a pub on Lindisfarne on Friday Night and a B&B near Amble on Saturday night (16th and 17th)

We are travelling up from Yorkshire on Friday lunch time but haven't finalised an itinerary. We were thinking Harthorpe Valley on Friday pm, Lindisfarne early Saturday am and Coquet Island boat trip on Sunday, tides permitting, probably calling in at Saltholme on the way back.

Still struggling to fill the gaps, particularly Sat late morning/pm/evening as we head south. Seems like lots to do in Druridge Bay on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

Any other recommendations for Friday and Saturday would be greatly appreciated. Upland birds for Friday and shorebirds etc for Saturday would be great. We are doing the Farnes in June so giving that a miss this time.

Don't want to seem greedy, just looking for options.

Thanks all,

Jonno

It's entirely your call of course, but I could easily spend a whole day on Lindisfarne.... although it depends on the tides for getting back to the mainland if you can do that or not.

Otherwise, Martin's suggestions seem spot on to me. The whole Northumberland coastline from Lindisfarne down to Newbiggin (and, tbh, continuing down into North Tyneside as far as St Mary's Island north of Whitley Bay) is fantastic at this time of year, with plenty of secluded bays and estuaries, some good headlands for sea-watching, and several wildlife reserves.... you made a good choice ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I think Stag Rocks and Long Nanny are places we should factor in and are perhaps the additional sites we wanted to fill in the gaps.

We were aware of the tide times but take on board staying on the island longer than planned. We will see how it goes on the day.

Cheers

Jonno

Out of interest, how do we access Harthorpe Valley and where is the best place to park? Looking on t'internet, it suggests driving as far as where the Hawsen and Harthorpe Burns converge but I don't want to drive past too much decent habitat.

It is clearly a big area to cover and we'd like to cover a wide range of habitats.

Thanks again

Jonno

Easiest route is from Wooler. There's another route in, through the ford at Coldgate Mill, but it's your choice as to whether you want to risk that (that's the route I always take, but I know at least one other activity provider who thinks it's too risky).

There's a parking area just before the Carey Burn bridge near the start of the valley. If you're feeling energetic, I'd park there and explore the Carey Burn before walking along the valley. The Hawsen Burn is worth checking too, although erosion in recent years has made parts of the track along the burn quite difficult to negotiate. The walk along from the Hawsen Burn to Langleefordhope is another section not to be missed.

cheers
martin

Out of interest, how do we access Harthorpe Valley and where is the best place to park? Looking on t'internet, it suggests driving as far as where the Hawsen and Harthorpe Burns converge but I don't want to drive past too much decent habitat.

It is clearly a big area to cover and we'd like to cover a wide range of habitats.

Thanks again

Jonno

Thanks again

Jonno

personally i would go as far up the valley as you can to start with.(driving)

walk the path around Langleefordhope for an hour or 2. Then drive back down the road and do the spots martin mentions.

The woods around langleeford have the biggest volume of bird species, but the other areas near the valley ent have the rare species eg Ring ousel.

depends which you hope to see first??

Thanks. We do run a weekend list so volume is good though quality wins hands down. Ring Ouzel, Red Grouse, Whinchat would all be great. Redstart, Flycatchers and Wood Warbler if they are present would be brilliant. Equally I still need Dipper and Grey Wag for my year list so I guess various spots will help as you suggest.

I like the idea of starting at Langleeford and working back.

Are you aware of any sites with useful maps before I print off from Streetmap?

Really appreciate all your time and assistance.

Jonno

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back