• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lowepro Scope Travel 200AW (1 Viewer)

Borjam

Spain
I have just purchased one, the smallest of the "Scope" family from Lowepro.

http://store.lowepro.com/scope-travel-200-aw

It's a bit tight depending on what you want to carry, but a bigger bag always means more stuff, which means more weight :) So I tried to keep it under control.

The bag features a main compartment with a central padded area for the scope, and two side padded compartments: one intended for your binoculars and another one where you can fit a camera an an additional lens.

It's a tight fit for my scope, a Celestron Regal M2 65ED, but it fits inside with the eyepiece and the eyepiece cover attached, which is good. However, it takes most of the main compartment. The central padding can be configured for a straight eyepiece scope or an angled one, with velcro positions to fix the paddings.

The binoculars compartment, also nicely padded, can hold my Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 provided*I fold them for the minimum interpupil distance. Forget about full sized porros, it can only fit a roof prism design.

The camera compartment can fit a not too large camera, maybe even with an additional lens or some digiscoping accessory, or, of course, two additional eyepieces.

Of course, all those dividers can be removed if you need more room inside. With all the dividers installed you may find everything really tightly packed, with too little room for a light jacket and, for example, a bit of food.

The cover has a generous supply of pockets to keep the small stuff organized. There are two large inside pockets, although not large enough to hold a 10 inch iPad (I would have made one of them a bit larger, and the other one smaller), and an outer compartment with the typical room for several pens or maybe some tools, a keyring, another small padded compartment for a mobile phone, a notebook, a field guide, etc.

There is also one side pocket for a water bottle of course.

(I am not including photos since the photos on the product page are really comprehensive).

The bag also features a tripod attachment with a deployable "pocket" on the bottom, so that you rest one or two legs of your tripod on it, and an adjustable strap on the top. The tripod is attached to both.

My tripod is longer than the rucksack, (a Manfrotto 190XP3) and it looks a bit tall behind my back, but it's effectively held by the straps. However, beware long walks. Holding a heavy tripod along the far end of the bag can make you get tired earlier. I would have liked a couple of straps hanging from the bottom, helping to keep the tripod closer to my waist and closer to my body, reducing the torque on the shoulder straps. Carrying a tripod is always tricky anyway ;)

The side handle looks to me like a serious weak point. I don't know how strong are the seams holding it, but I would rather use the shoulder straps and top handle combination. Also, that side handle can be a problem if it gets stuck on branches, door knobs, etc.

The rucksack is comfortable (I have tried with scope, tripod with a somewhat heavy head, my binoculars and an iPad) and the shoulder straps are well designed. It includes a waist strap to make it more stable when walking, although it's not padded. Anyway, the waist area is well padded and it will definitely help to couple the load to your hip.

As it's standard in Lowepro bags with the "AW" brand, it includes an "all weather" cover to improve protection against rain. A very welcome feature if the weather gets nasty.

In short:

It's small and it's really easy to fill it up, so it's good for a hike. The equivalent of a day pack.

It's well padded, although the padding in these bags is more useful to prevent nasty vibrations (for example, on a car) affecting delicate optical equipment. I wouldn't drop the bag full of optics from more than a few centimeters.

The alternatives are the larger sisters, both the Scope Porter, with all those options to carry the scope attached to your tripod, and the larger Scope Travel 350 AW. But, again, larger means heavier :)

But remember, the Scope Travel 200 AW can just hold small scopes (65 mm may be the maximum).

Last edited:
After some days of use I would add one criticism. The lid pockets are way too tight, with very little capacity. All it would take to make it better would be to make the lid a bit more baggy.

I'm happy with the backpack but that's definitely a downside.

Hi Borjan I read your review and it encouraged me to update my thoughts on the 350 bag I have. Good to see we have similar thoughts on the subject. Glad to see you are getting on with your bag. Alas I am giving up with my bag and I am going back to a rucksack.

Hi Borjan I read your review and it encouraged me to update my thoughts on the 350 bag I have. Good to see we have similar thoughts on the subject. Glad to see you are getting on with your bag. Alas I am giving up with my bag and I am going back to a rucksack.

So your main criticism is the tightness of the lid pockets? At some point I cursed at them wondering if they have designed the bag to look neat and tidy on photos rather than being useful!

But that said I'm happy with it, compared to the rest it's a minor annoyance.

Anyway, hey, Lowepro! Are you listening? A proper rucksack pocket needs some bagginess!

So your main criticism is the tightness of the lid pockets? At some point I cursed at them wondering if they have designed the bag to look neat and tidy on photos rather than being useful!

But that said I'm happy with it, compared to the rest it's a minor annoyance.

Anyway, hey, Lowepro! Are you listening? A proper rucksack pocket needs some bagginess!

Yes I find the overall tightness too much of a nuisance for my taste. I think my bag is more suitable for camera gear or someone with a lot smaller scope.

Lowepro a bit of customer awareness needed here!!

I posted a review on their website saying the same. Great bag but with an important downside. I hope they will read it!!

I use this rucksack to carry my swaro atm 80 with stay on case plus bins and the usual sundries. it is a wee bit of a squeeze but not really a problem. tripod with head is a good bit longer than the bag and sticks up a wee bit, but all in all , exactly what I require. pleased with purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back