• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kielder Ospreys - where best to view? (1 Viewer)

Quacker

Visited today and saw them from the "viewpoint" at Leaplish Waterside. Having recently returned from watching Ospreys nr Loch Garten and Loch Insh, too a trip today to visit our "own" (well, stretching a point a little with me being in Co. Durham).

Have been put of the birding game for a few years, after a couple of close birding pals died in 2010 (my annus Horriblis whatever it's called) Remember the Kielder Osprey viewing point which was much closer. Today's view were impossible with naked eye and only the fact I had Nikon with 75x! did I see an Osprey head from what must have been a few miles away.

Now I am in no way wanting to disturb or even get close enough to photograph these birds, but just want to know of any public paths/roads which afford closer and better views than Leaplish.

I'm assuming the previous viewpoint is no longer used - but for the life of me cannot recall where it was.

Cheers

Steve

The original viewpoint is just along the road from Leaplish, and really isn't any better than the current one. If you walk up the path towards the squirrel hide, and set your 'scope up near the trees with the bat boxes, you'll get a reasonable 'scope view of the nest - which is all that's ever been possible with that pair.

cheers
martin

I'm assuming the previous viewpoint is no longer used - but for the life of me cannot recall where it was.

Cheers

Steve

The original viewpoint is just along the road from Leaplish, and really isn't any better than the current one. If you walk up the path towards the squirrel hide, and set your 'scope up near the trees with the bat boxes, you'll get a reasonable 'scope view of the nest - which is all that's ever been possible with that pair.

cheers
martin

Cheers Martin - though even at 75x (inc magnified haze of course) the current viewpoint at Leaplish seems a lot more distant than I remember the original viewpoint using the same scope!

Old age/failing eyes.:C

Maybe I just got lucky but the one time I've been to Leaplish when on the shore not far from the car park I had one Osprey fly right overhead then successfully catch a fish nearby giving excellent close views.

Wasn't everything better in the past ;)

I haven't been up to the old viewpoint at Mounces for a couple of years. I wonder if the trees are now obscuring the view of the nest - the same issue that led to the closure of the Bakethin viewpoint.

The birds do hunt in the Bakethin reserve end of the reservoir, so much better views from there if you're lucky.

cheers
martin

Cheers Martin - though even at 75x (inc magnified haze of course) the current viewpoint at Leaplish seems a lot more distant than I remember the original viewpoint using the same scope!

Old age/failing eyes.:C

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back