• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Butterfly ID, please (1 Viewer)

BillN

No Dragonflies this morning but plenty of Butterflies around.

Can you help me ID the following, must be really common as they are all over the wild blackberry brambles in the local meadow

Maybe a Common Meadow something ……. but I cannot find it in my Field Guide, Collins Butterfly Guide

seen SW France - countryside habitat

Attachments

• BF_1.jpg
    BF_1.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 84
  • BF_2.jpg
    BF_2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 89
Just found it, with help

They are both not the same Butterfly, but they look like females according to the Book - Meadow Brown, (Maniola jurtina), page 300 of the Collins Guide

Looks like the very dark ones I see must be males

Bill,

You are correct, they are both female Meadow Browns. Males are generally much darker with less orange. I would highly recommend the "Pocket Guide to the Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland" by Richard Lewington. The illustrations are superb along with informative text.

Mike

Hi Bill
You may also get more responses if you post photos for id in the relevant Butterfly/Moth or Insect forums under the Nature in General section.
Best wishes
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back