• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A new owl? (1 Viewer)

chhers Andy

new owls do turn up pretty regularly actually

there are probably a fair few Scops types on islands in Asia still to be 'recognised' and Serendib Scops Owl was ony discovered in Sri Lanka a very few years ago...and Cinabar Hawk Owl in Sulawesi

I imagine the scenario is very similar in South America

Tim

Tim Allwood said:
chhers Andy

new owls do turn up pretty regularly actually

there are probably a fair few Scops types on islands in Asia still to be 'recognised' and Serendib Scops Owl was ony discovered in Sri Lanka a very few years ago...and Cinabar Hawk Owl in Sulawesi

I imagine the scenario is very similar in South America

Tim
Yep, I suppose it's natural that many nocturnal species have yet to be discovered.
I thought we had a real coup with the Andaman Crake photo last week, seems Steve's Owl could top that.

cheers,
Andy

Andaman Crake - wow!

I missed that Andy, being away and all

can you do me a favour and pop the link up pleas?e - I'd love to see that pic.... might be of use to us at OBC too...

Tim

This owl has been known for some years - generally goes by the soubriquet "San Isidro Mystery Owl" (Ciccaba sp.) as it is seen at Cabanas San Isidro on the eastern slope of the Andes. It is closely related to black-and-white owl and its looks are between that species and black-banded owl. However it occurs at higher altitudes than both.

We were only there during the day, so missed it.

Rob

edenwatcher said:
This owl has been known for some years - generally goes by the soubriquet "San Isidro Mystery Owl" (Ciccaba sp.) as it is seen at Cabanas San Isidro on the eastern slope of the Andes. It is closely related to black-and-white owl and its looks are between that species and black-banded owl. However it occurs at higher altitudes than both.

We were only there during the day, so missed it.

Rob
Thank Rob, seems it's not quite the mystery owl we thought ;) ... plenty of info on it and quite showy for the right photographer at the right moment in the right place!

Wow! Birdforum is very big now! You just wait and it'll be all over the news, 'Birdforum does it again with: Can you help me ID this House Sparrow Thread'

Yeah and youll find it and in the furture little kids will say to their Dads hey look theres a Apps sub species in with the house sparrows today (thats if they survive that long)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back