• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lowepro Event Messenger 150 (1 Viewer)

Borjam

Spain
Just purchased this bag yesterday. I was looking for a parctical solution for walks carrying my binoculars and a camera (a superzoom). I used a small backpack before but you can be really clumsy retrieving stuff from it.

This bag does it very well. The superzoom camera (Lumix FZ200) and the 8x42 binoculars fit nicely, each within its own compartment (all the internal dividers can be configured freely as usual in this type of bags).

It's roomy enough and rather deep, so you can even put some accesories in the bottom, such as the typical air blower, etc.

There's also an inside pocket (fully padded) for an iPad (an Air fits perfecty), two side pockets (nice for a water bottle, a small table tripod, etc) and a front zippered pocket with the typical departments for a pen, memory cards, phone, etc.

The lid closes the access to the main compartment and it covers the front pocket as well. And it has an interesting feature: it can be configured for silent or noisy opening by allowing a couple of velcros to work. The idea is, if you are at a city you will want it noisy so that it will be very difficult for a pickpocket to open it without you noticing. In other situations you can fold the velcros on themselves, defeating them, and the flap just closes with the typical plastic clasp, with (almost) no noise.

The bag is very well padded, which is good. A review on the Lowepro website mentions it as (maybe) the best bag for bridge/superzoom and iPad users.

I forgot: this bag can be very convenient for audio recording as well. Although it's not full of cut-outs for cables, you can carry a medium sized recorder (such as a PMD667) with full size headphones, a couple of microphones, spare batteries, etc.

Downsides you may find:

1) No AW cover, which would be very useful when venturing outdoors. The front flap, however, should do a decent job to prevent rain entering it.

2) There is an exposed back pocket which can be nice for a field guide, etc. As usual with Lowepro, maybe it's a bit too tight.

3) The bag is maybe a bit too "square", but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Anyway, I think it's solved my problem very well. A messenger bag gives more flexibility than a backpack to retrieve stuff without stopping.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back