• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pelagornis sandersi (1 Viewer)

I did not read this paper (yet), but stating that a wingspan of 6.4 m. makes Pelagornis sandersi the biggest bird is a bit controversial, at least.

Argentavis magnifiscens Campbell et Tonni, 1980 has an estimated wingspan of 7 m. and an estimated mass of 70 kg.

See: Sankar Chatterjee, R. Jack Templin et Kenneth E. Campbell, Jr., 2007
The aerodynamics of Argentavis, the world’s largest flying bird from the Miocene of Argentina
PNAS 104: 12398–12403

pdf: http://www.pnas.org/content/104/30/12398.full.pdf+html

Have fun,

Fred

Some media state 22 to 24 feet which is rather close to 7 m. And the 7 m wingspan of Argentavis is still a matter of speculation.

Some media state 22 to 24 feet which is rather close to 7 m. And the 7 m wingspan of Argentavis is still a matter of speculation.

I still did not read the paper, as I don't have it, I would appreciate it if somebody could send it to me. Wikipedia states that the wingspan is of Pelagornis sandersi is 20-24 feet (6,1-7,4 m.). As far as I have seen so far, Ksepka only had a right femur and calculated the wingspand by using the ratio's of the wings of related species. So it is not that he was able to measure it directly.

Still according to Wikipedia it weighted between 48 and 88 pounds (22 - 40 kg.). Argentavis magnifiscens had an estimated mass of 70 kg. (allmost twice as much). So I still think that to state Pelagornis sandersi was the biggest bird is at least controversial.

“I can’t say I feel too forlorn
At th’extinction of the Pelagorn.
But, to see this giant gannet
Off Portland, or Thanet,
Would anyone’s tick list adorn.”

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back