• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Don't you feel pushed aside? (1 Viewer)

luke

A Welsh birder in Dorset!
hi folks
Reading through some of the threads on this forum it seems quite obvious that birders are always second to sports. it happens quite alot that broadcasters cancel a nature documentary for a foot ball match (or something similar)
As i work at an owl sanctuary we have quite a bit of filming filmed at the sanctuary. we recently had a call from the bbc telling us that there would be a program (containing footage of the sanctuary) on bbc 2 on the 1st of March. it seems they have cancelled it for football

what everyones thoughts?

cheers

Luke

Yo Luke, agreed its a shame given the viewing figures for the natural history progs produced here in the UK when they are aired on TV. Mainstream audiences as well not just us natural history lovers. Many of my work colleagues, friends and family love to watch them and the feedback is always positive. Wouldn't be at all suprised if they achieve better ratings than the sport/ football progs they are "bumped off" for.

Personally I would like to see more natural history and for a lot longer than say the 30 mins Bill Oddie will get this evening.

Stewart

this is bbc's typical programming policy''keep most of the people happy most of the time'' and bugger everyone else.birders are not the majority target audience.never mind,bill oddie in ten minutes.matt,[still not a proper birder]

I would love to see what happens if a European cup final on tv is cancelled for a 2 hour programme about the breeding behaviour of the Sparrow.

Ronald Zee said:
I would love to see what happens if a European cup final on tv is cancelled for a 2 hour programme about the breeding behaviour of the Sparrow.

we should start protesting outside bbc headquarters, thats probably what the footy fans would do

luke

Cinyras said:
I can't work out whats going on footie-wise on March 1st???

there match of the day or something an all night don't what wat game it is i don't pay attension

luke

Nature shows rule over sports. Personally, I am not a big sports fan/player, and would rather watch nature and its wonders than a bag of air known as a football being kicked from one side of a field to another. Nature works in wonderfull ways, which most people don't appriciate unfortunatly. More nature programs should be shown to make more people care, instead of showing the football which helps who with what? It helps David Beckham gain another few thousand quid.

BBC: WE DEMAND MORE NATURE PROGRAMS!!!

Thanks
Mathew

Ronald Zee said:

Ronald,

You've got more chance of being bitten by a daffodil! ;)

Anthony

Last edited:
give me the footy any day

I will be stopping shortly during my morning run to watch the local cloggers on the park. I will watch a game anywhere, with anyone playing

I think it is a problem I have

Tim

No different over here.Pro and College games regularly extend into overtime on weekend afternoons that pushes out the evening schedule.The over population of teams in each sport has elongated the seasons.The super bowl or NFL championship used to take place in January.Now with 30 teams they need an additional two weeks to get it all in.Very good deal I'm sure for networks to sell more ad time.Curious too how the World Series of baseball nearly always takes the full seven games to decide.Much more lucrative to sell time for seven than four.
Sam

Ronald Zee said:
Now that would be great to see :clap: :'D

It isn'st only birding which has to take a back seat to footie,so does bike racing.Carl Foggarty,and Steve Hislop(RIP).who were world champions,no aggro,as there is with footie matches,and still bike racing takes low priority.So what hope is there for wildlife progs.

Hi Luke. Personally I never thought of it until you brought it up ;)
But frankly, I don't feel pushed aside because I don't give a toot what anyone thinks. Maybe birdwatching is a minority in sports, but I do what makes me happy, and studying birds and animals makes my days worthwhile.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back