• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doctor Luchs and "his" two Birds … in German, and Polish! (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s another almost unknown man commemorated in two Birds … (not considering their respective status, placement or validity)

● the debated Cliff Parakeet; subspecies or species, Myiopsitta (monachus) luchsi FINSCH 1868 a k a (among aviculturist) as "Luchs's -" or "Bolivian Grey-breasted Parakeet".
● … and the invalid "Aegintha luchsi" RUSS 1882 (synonymous to, or hybrid of … ???)

This time we´re dealing with the fairly unknown:
Dr C. J. W. E. Luchs (1812-1886) German naturalist, aviculturalist, friend of Finsch (Myiopsitta). [Jobling 2010, and as in his HBW Alive Key 2014]
The C. (Carl for Karl) I can understand, but the W. is harder to get … ?

As far as I can find both commemorate the Prussian amateur naturalist and aviculturalist Doctor (physician) Ernst Luchs (1812–1886), whose full name was Karl Johann Nepomuk Ernst Luchs – "Badearts in Warmbrunn" = Spa doctor in Bad Warmbrunn (today's Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój, in Niederschlesien, Lower Silesia, in South Western Poland) … but even more important, in this context, mentor and friend to Otto Finsch.

This Ernst Luchs, as he was called, was born 1812 in Bad Warmbrunn. After medical studies in Wrocław he returned and worked there his whole life, at the hot baths in the Health resort "Warmbrunn" (the same Bad Warmbrunn). He seem to have left no traces personally in the zoological litterature but he was known in the circle of ornithologists like, for example; Alexander von Homeyer, Alfred Brehm, Karl Russ and the above mentioned Otto Finsch. He apparently had quite a large collection, of both live and stuffed birds, as well as a large ornithological Library. Member in the German Science Academy Leopoldina from 1843 and from 1870 in the German ornithological society Deutsche Ornithologische Gesellschaft (today's Deutsche Ornithologen-Gesellschaft [DO-G]).

When Finsch described the Parakeet (as "Bolborrhynchus Luchsi") in: Finsch, O. 1868. Die Papageien, monographishes bearbeteit … Vol 2: 121-123. (attached) Link to full volume (here) … he did it with the following phrase:
"Diese neue Art, welche ich als Zeichen aufrichtiger Hochachtung meinem Freunde Herrn Dr. E. Luchs zu Warmbrunn dedicire, lässt schon nach den in der Diagnose angegebenen Kennzeichen, sehr leicht von dem nächstverwandten B. monachus unterscheiden."
When Karl Russ described the second "species" under the head-line "Luchs´Astrild" as "Aegintha Luchsi" in: Russ, K. 1882. Luchs´Astrild. Die Gefiederte Welt 11 (1): 6. (attached) Link to full volume (here) … he did it with the following dedication:
"Ich benannte diesen Astrild zu Ehren eines der tüchtigsten Kenner und liebevollsten Pfleger der Prachtfinken, des Herrn Dr. Luchs in Warmbrunn."
Since my knowledge of German is, to say the least meager, I wonder if anyone of our German knowing friends might feel like translating those quotes!? If so, please, as properly as possible, as I would like to translate them myself (to Swedish). And don´t hesitate to remark on any errors I might have done transcribing them!

And if anyone of our Polish knowing friend could have a look at this link (here) and explain what it tells us, we might even learn more! Click on the "Show publication content!" to the right!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Finsch 1868 - p.121.jpg
    Finsch 1868 - p.121.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Finsch 1868 - p.122.jpg
    Finsch 1868 - p.122.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Finsch 1868 - p.123.jpg
    Finsch 1868 - p.123.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Russ 1882 - p.6.jpg
    Russ 1882 - p.6.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
In Gebhardt (1964: 224-225) Ernst Luchs, 1812 Warmbrunn and 3 Januari 1886 Warmbrunn, is mentioned. He was known to Finsch and is mentioned as commemorated by Gebhardt.

Björn,
Thanks for useful references. Wynne, 1969, p. 126, provided the initials I gave. I have updated HBWAlive Key, excepting that I have kept Carl instead of Karl, and German instead of Prussian (?was Silesia part of Prussia in the early 19th century). The description of Aegintha luchsi indicates some sort of Estrilda, probably a hybrid given Luchs's avicultural interests.

I don't think there's too much to be learned from your two quoted passages.

Quote 1:

"This new species, which, as a sign of genuine reverence, I dedicate to my friend Dr E. Luchs in Warmbrunn, is easily distinguished, by the dignostic description, from its closest relative, B. monachus."

Quote 2:

"I named this Estrilda in honour of one of the most accomplished and most loving caretaker of the Estrildae, Dr Luchs in Warmbrunn."

Andrea

Thanks Andrea, Niels, James and Justin!

Andrea, that translation came in handy (while I was writing this!). Excellent! With those quotes solved, and helped by Justin's reference to Gebhardt 1964, I think I´m done with Mr. Luchs.

And James, I (on my behalf) will keep it Karl … however the most important First name is Ernst, as he was called in every-day-life …

Niels, thanks for the Prussian link, but it´s even easier if you read the Wiki entry for Silesia:
"In 1742, most of Silesia was seized by King Frederick the Great of Prussia in the War of the Austrian Succession, becoming the Prussian Province of Silesia; consequently, Silesia became part of the German Empire when it was proclaimed in 1871."
And James, regarding the "Aegintha luchsi". We, you and I, are/were not the only ones having trouble reading those old German letters. Even Richmond had trouble understanding them. He made two cards for this Bird: "A. luchsi" and (with more information) "A. fuschsi". (both attached). Indicating that "A. luchsi" presumably was a hybrid of "Estrilda cinerea" (= E. troglodytes) X E. melpoda.

I guess that´s it ...

Luchs ... over and out!

Attachments

• Richmond card for luchsi.jpg
    Richmond card for luchsi.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 25
  • Richmond card for fuchsi.jpg
    Richmond card for fuchsi.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 31
His death record Carl Johann Nepomuk Ernst seems no help (or I am not able to read it).

This says
und zeigte an, daß der Dr. med Johann Carl Ernst Luchs vier und siebenzig Jahr vier Monat alt,
[...]
am dritten Januar des Jahres tausend acht hundert achtzig und sechs Nachmittags um sieben Uhr verstorben sei.

3 Jan 1886 - 74 years 4 months = 3 Sep 1811.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back