• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

William Sansom Vaux (1 Viewer)

Ian Lewis

aka Gryllo
Europe
How would William Sansom Vaux have pronounced his surname?

On a recent trip to Mexico the Brits on the tour said 'Vow's' Swift, the Belgium tour leader 'Vor's' Swift whilst the Americans called them 'Vawkes' Swift.

Ian

I have always thought of that name as 'Vou's Swift

Niels

Edit: in Vou, the 'ou' part is more one sound than two when I think about it.

Kevin McGowan: Dr. Language Person's Guide to Bird Name Pronunciations...
VAUX'S (Swift) - Here again we have a bird named for a person, this time William S. Vaux, and we need to know how he pronounced it. Those of you with training in French probably, and understandably, think you pronounce it as would the French - "vo" with a silent x. But you are WRONG (and probably pretentious too). Terres and Websters lists it as "vauks." I talked to someone once who knew some relative of William Vaux and said that they pronounced it "vauks."

Kevin McGowan said:
{some of you} think you pronounce it as would the French... you are WRONG

I think I know how I pronounce a name. How others, including Mr Vaux, pronounce it is none of my concern.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back