• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viper HD vs Terra ED (1 Viewer)

cnick6

Has anyone pitted these two models against each other? Seems like a great test considering their price points...

I decided to pick up a pair of the Viper HD 10x42 to test against my Zeiss Terra ED 10x42.

My first experience with Vortex (a monocular) wasn't very good, so we'll see how their binoculars fare.

Hello,

I actually tried my friend's Viper HD against her significant other's Terra ED (both in 8x42 configuration) about a month ago. To me there wasn't much comparison, with the Viper outperforming the Terra in all visual qualities (centerfield sharpness, minimizing CA, control of stray light) aside from edge sharpness, where I found them to be equal. The build quality and general handling of the Viper also seemed superior. The Terra does have a somewhat larger FoV than the Viper, but not enough of one to be a major distraction for me, as neither are particularly excellent in this aspect.

Justin

Thanks Justin. Yeah that's kind of what the specifications imply as well. I know the Terra's are made in China so it'll be interesting to see how the Japan Viper HD binoculars compare.

I'm actually going to be buying the Vanguard Endeavor II 10x42 as well. When I get all three, I'll probably do a mini-challenge on the main binocular forum.

Hello,

I actually tried my friend's Viper HD against her significant other's Terra ED (both in 8x42 configuration) about a month ago. To me there wasn't much comparison, with the Viper outperforming the Terra in all visual qualities (centerfield sharpness, minimizing CA, control of stray light) aside from edge sharpness, where I found them to be equal. The build quality and general handling of the Viper also seemed superior. The Terra does have a somewhat larger FoV than the Viper, but not enough of one to be a major distraction for me, as neither are particularly excellent in this aspect.

Justin

My Terra has the best stray light / veiling glare control of all my bins short of the HT - better than any Swaro or Nikon I have tried as well. Other owners have reported the same. What stray light problem do you see in the Terra?

I wouldn't spend too much time exalting the Terra's edge sharpness or CA control, as neither are stellar, but it is superb for stray light, near perfect. I have used them many times for field surveys, when the going is too rough for an alpha and they perform very well, especially in adverse light.

My Terra has the best stray light / veiling glare control of all my bins short of the HT - better than any Swaro or Nikon I have tried as well. Other owners have reported the same. What stray light problem do you see in the Terra?

James, I can't speak for Justin's issue but I do see a very, very small amount of glare when viewing a high-contrast image with say a cloudy background. I notice that it's at worst when viewing slightly upward or downward. If viewing head on, it's not as obvious, but when panning slowly up or down it's noticeable. In this region of the USA, a bright (white) background is pretty common.

When in low contrast situations, the optics are very nearly perfect.

I wouldn't spend too much time exalting the Terra's edge sharpness or CA control, as neither are stellar, but it is superb for stray light, near perfect.

Edge sharpness is not perfect but it's about 85-90% in my opinion. It is only on the outer edge and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Do you have a specific test case to test for stray light?

Different units, different eyes I guess. I really can't invoke any glare in the Terra no matter how hard I try.

The more time I spend here, the more I realize that all of our observations are very individual. This, on top of sample variation and variations in technique and use seem to make meaningful comparisons impossible.

James .... do you have the 8X or 10X Terra? Thanks.

I have the 8. I find the internal blackening of the Terra [and resultant glare control] better than the Conquest 8x32, which I also own. I have used a few $2000.00+ binoculars [EDG, FL, SV] that just don't do as good a job as the budget Terra in this regard.

Justin,

I admit when I first saw your above reply, I was quite skeptical. That being said, I have to agree with everything you said.

The MIJ quality was definitely there. I was actually far more impressed than I remotely expected. I figured they would be "close" but it wasn't a contest. The Viper HD really *IS* that good.

I've only used it for a few hours but am thoroughly impressed. In fact, I can't really find anything to complain about. (How about that!?)

Okay, well the included accessories, are rather generic. The manual is more like a leaflet. I admit, I could care less about that stuff.

It is nice to actually find a manufacturer that actually makes *fitted* eyecup protectors. Nikon's are uber loose that they just fall off. I never understood that. I don't really care anyway, as I remove all that junk.

I go buck naked with my binoculars! :smoke: :king:

This product deserves its reputation.

James:
If I recall correctly, I was getting a ring of glare around the image with the Terra that I got with neither the Viper HD nor my Kowa Genesis. I looked back in my field notebook for more specific details but I just wrote that there was glare, so I'm not 100% this was the case.

cnick6:
To me, the biggest gripe with the 8x42 Viper HD is the narrow FoV relative to its competitors; I found most other aspects of it (along with the more minute 6x32) quite exceptional, just slightly below the performance of the ~$1000 models, e.g. Meostar HD, Conquest HD, etc. The 10x42 has a FoV more comparable (about 15ft/1000yd difference) to competitors so I would assume it is a prime performer, particularly in its price range and with that wonderful build quality.

Glad they were to your liking.

Justin

If I recall correctly, I was getting a ring of glare around the image with the Terra that I got with neither the Viper HD nor my Kowa Genesis.

Actually this fits with what I saw today as well. What I concluded was that there's extra light coming in which actually enhances low contrast images; however, as soon as you get into a high contrast situation (especially with more light) then you get an extra layer (or ring) of glare. It's very minor and I don't think a lot of people would even notice it. Obviously it depends on your subject and light source. The sharpness is already there so I'm not sure why they felt more light would be a plus. It's just in those "too much light" situations where you'll see more of an issue.

After my testing today, I took a step back a bit and came to the obvious realization that the Terra ED is a great binocular for its price point. The 10x42 sells for $399. The Viper HD 10x42 is $200 more.

So the Viper HD *should* be better. I think the difference is the MIJ glass versus the MIC glass and possibly the overall quality of workmanship/materials. Zeiss did do well with its first generation of low-cost binoculars. I will look forward to their next generation. Something tells me they will do much better. I hope they use the Viper HD as a reference point.

I feel that customer's are willing to pay more for a higher quality binocular.

I was just curious as to why those two? (sorry got distracted and had to come back to this)

There is a much bigger jump in quality between $300 and $600 binocs than there is between $600 and $900 binocs (IMO)

Last edited:
I was just curious as to why those two?

I was looking for the best value binoculars in 10x42 with roof prisms and ED optics. There are only a few of these that exist. I would like to try the KOWA BD42-10XD and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II but not sure if I really need to now. ;)

The 10x42 model will end up being my full-time, in-the-car binocular for general viewing.

There is a much bigger jump in quality between $300 and $600 binocs than there is between $600 and $900 binocs

I think you meant $400 to $600. Yes, in general, I would agree that's why I made that statement. You do have to consider their specifications. There are $1000 binoculars without ED glass and other features. A $600 pair of binoculars could best them with better features.

If you compare the same class/features, then yes, then performance should be linear with cost.

I was looking for the best value binoculars in 10x42 with roof prisms and ED optics. There are only a few of these that exist. I would like to try the KOWA BD42-10XD and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II but not sure if I really need to now. ;)

The 10x42 model will end up being my full-time, in-the-car binocular for general viewing.

I think you meant $400 to $600. Yes, in general, I would agree that's why I made that statement. You do have to consider their specifications. There are $1000 binoculars without ED glass and other features. A $600 pair of binoculars could best them with better features.

If you compare the same class/features, then yes, then performance should be linear with cost.

I was really thinking $300 give or take $50 to $600 give or take $50. You can buy open box 8X42 Terras at cameralandNY for $289.00.

I think if you compare the Viper HD to a ZenRay Prime HD, Kowa BD or Leupold Mckinley you would get closer results

I think if you compare the Viper HD to a ZenRay Prime HD, Kowa BD or Leupold Mckinley you would get closer results

My point is that Zeiss is an "Alpha" brand. To be honest, I was hoping that the Terra ED would be closer to the Viper HD but it wasn't -- not even close. I realize the Terra ED model is made in China by a 3rd party but I still expected the "Zeiss" performance.

I'm not saying the Terra ED is bad but [the difference] was just a little disappointing that's all.

My point is that Zeiss is an "Alpha" brand. To be honest, I was hoping that the Terra ED would be closer to the Viper HD but it wasn't -- not even close. I realize the Terra ED model is made in China by a 3rd party but I still expected the "Zeiss" performance.

I'm not saying the Terra ED is bad but [the difference] was just a little disappointing that's all.

Just playing the devils advocate here, I understand where you were coming from.

I think using the connotation of an alpha brand name regardless of the price to judge quality of a view could be a mistake, good optics cost money,

Nikon can easily compete with the "alphas" on the top end while competing with lower tier makers in optics for the unwashed masses. So would you have expected the Nikon Monarch 5 to compete with the Vortex?

Last edited:

You started off saying how great you thought the Terra was, then backtracked. For $400.00, that's about what you get.

I have a pair, and they are $400.00 binoculars, nothing more and the Zeiss label doesn't change that. Sharp centre, soft edges, too much CA but solid build and good in adverse lighting. For twice the cost [Conquest HD] you get all the upgrades in view that you would desire.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back