• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What have you focused on for hours? (1 Viewer)

anonymous_guy

Guy R.H. Miller
What have you focused on for hours? Knowing it just has to be too irrestible not to perch on.
And in the end you just had to take a picture home with you - sometimes lucky, sometimes not - but at least you have a momento.
This was my most recent.

Attachments

• DSC_6145.JPG
    DSC_6145.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_61821.JPG
    DSC_61821.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
anonymous_guy said:
What have you focused on for hours? Knowing it just has to be too irrestible not to perch on.
And in the end you just had to take a picture home with you - sometimes lucky, sometimes not - but at least you have a momento.
This was my most recent.

Lovely photo - out of interest what is the bird?

Richard

yr taking the mickey right? just coz I keep posting them in my gallery (Red-whiskered Bulbul) 3:)

But, I was just wondering, does everybody else not keep the camera focused on an object just knowing something is going to land there, & sometimes after several hours, nothing has..... & so you don't have anything for yr efforts.
So you take a photo of the "perch" just for the hell of it.

Or am I odd - I've got photos of several perches I've focused on. |8)|

Yes, I have done that - watching a particular spot because it seems likely. And I've even taken a picture of it without any bird being there, and later admired how nice and sharp the picture came out and thinking how great a picture it would have been with a bird in it! But yes, this is pretty odd! :)

Rich

RAH said:
Yes, I have done that - watching a particular spot because it seems likely. And I've even taken a picture of it without any bird being there, and later admired how nice and sharp the picture came out and thinking how great a picture it would have been with a bird in it! But yes, this is pretty odd! :)

Rich
LOL. Sort of the same premise as why is the photo of the back of the bird crystal clear and the front capture stinks? ;)

A green heron perched at the end of a log in a marsh that I just knew was going to uncoil and zap a fish.I couldn't dare look away and miss the capture.It took almost an hour of being focused on that bill when the strike came.He nicely held up his bluegill in the sunlight and toyed with it long enough for a few good frames.I considered the time well spent.
Sam

Knew I couldn't be the only one - have several perch pictures with nothing on them, but thought I should keep them for the effort I put in.

The tap in the first picture I'm still watching (4 days now), from about 6' away - have got over 100 shots now on & around the tap, mainly bulbuls - but every now & again something else comes along to get zapped, but nothing apart from bulbuls worth showing yet - which was why I just had to show everybody "my tap" - |=o|

Or am I odd - I've got photos of several perches I've focused on.
No we don't think you are odd at all.................................................... NURSE bring this man his injection!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the conscensus that seems to be evolving is that I'm fairly odd - think this could be harder than giving up smoking - just get this irresistable urge every now & again.........., but I'll try & fight it.
While I'm trying to give up, here's one in the meantime:

Attachments

• DSC_5745.JPG
    DSC_5745.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 203
I once stared at a bar stool for 2 hours waiting for a blond or a red head to sit there!

Mike

weather said:
I once stared at a bar stool for 2 hours waiting for a blond or a red head to sit there!

Mike
Should've had a brunette in mind - there's more of them, & have a tendancy to perch more often in obvious places

I find this disturbing.
Since finding this site, it has taken up way too much of my time.
Since reading how everyone keeps lists of everything they've seen from every conceiveable vantage point, I am now starting to worry about whether the view from my toilet is adequate.
Now this....If I find myself staring through a camera lens for hours on end at a twig or a rock or a piece of garden apparatus, I will blame YOU birdforum. This is an evil place.

Cheers,
Scott

You find that disturbing - you should feel for my neighbours.

Here am I living on Lamma Island in the S. China Sea - living amongst Expats & a larger community of local Chinese - largely an ageing population, & here is this foreigner sitting for hours on end under a green coloured mosquito net within 20' of a really smelly chicken pen in what to us are freezing temperatures (10-12c), and occasional rain.

I'm ok with it - but they seem to be having trouble - police have been round twice in 4 days.

Oh.........., forgot to mention, police are still trying to work out what is so interesting about the tap.
Think they trying to work out what they can do about me, but I know they'll never get the tap to press charges, so I think I'll be ok.:cool:

Funny you should say that, here is a picture of our local fire/ambulance truck, just after it picked up another birder - didn't get me though........, I was hidden inside my mosquito net!!!
Pays to stay still & then you're ahead of the game. :cool:

Attachments

• DSC_5681.JPG
    DSC_5681.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 192
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back