• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Has Opticron Travellers (1 Viewer)

Hi Bob,

I have looked at these, esp. the 8x32 model and would love to try them!! I like the idea of the weight! I sure wish EO would send one out for us to try. Or Frank.;)

I bought the 6x32 Traveller recently, but from OpticsCamp.
I had to replace my Katmai 6x32 due to super stiff focus in
cold weather. I even sent it back to Leupold for them to fix,
but they did nothing; said there were no defects.

Anyhoo...I didn't know parts of the tubes of the traveller are not
covered by the rubber armor...it's exposed metal (the brownish parts
of the bin). The rubber/metal feel of the bin is actually nice ....
I like it. Leaving some of the metal exposed makes the bin just a little lighter
and smaller (than the Katmai). It truly feels compact. The front focus
is interesting and I'll need to get used to it, but so far so good.

I haven't used it out in the field yet...only set the diopter.

It's only 13oz ! I like it so far...it certainly is unique.

Btw...OpticsCamp is a nice dealer...I really like their honest (and real) reviews
of bins they sell...it's refreshing.

Last edited:
I take it you don't want one to go to Brock?;)

Bob

Yea Bob with front focuser, somewhat hard to turn diopter control and 5 position eyecups I don't think Brock would be interested in this binocular. He talks about turning the diopter control willy-nilly.;) I adj. and it is set. I looked

at these on OpticsCamp.Com and like Annabeth I like their review of items. I notice they said and I quote: "and the focus knob is easily adjusted using the ring finger, even one handed" no mention of pinky finger.:t: Although

compared to the Nikon 8x30 the field of view is smaller 333'@1000 yds. compared to 436'@1000yds. Weight difference 13.4 oz. compared to the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 15.35 oz. After having use of Phil R's Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7 I

would probably lean towards the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7. I really liked it.
Regards, Steve

Last edited:
Opticscamp.com

I bought the 6x32 Traveller recently, but from OpticsCamp.
I had to replace my Katmai 6x32 due to super stiff focus in
cold weather. I even sent it back to Leupold for them to fix,
but they did nothing; said there were no defects.

Anyhoo...I didn't know parts of the tubes of the traveller are not
covered by the rubber armor...it's exposed metal (the brownish parts
of the bin). The rubber/metal feel of the bin is actually nice ....
I like it. Leaving some of the metal exposed makes the bin just a little lighter
and smaller (than the Katmai). It truly feels compact. The front focus
is interesting and I'll need to get used to it, but so far so good.

I haven't used it out in the field yet...only set the diopter.

It's only 13oz ! I like it so far...it certainly is unique.

Btw...OpticsCamp is a nice dealer...I really like their honest (and real) reviews of bins they sell...it's refreshing.

For me, 17oz is bordering on the limits of being hard to hold steady! If you can handle these lightweights, then good for anyone who is able to manage that! It's the main reason I decided not to even try the Nikon M7 8x32's at 15oz, besides the higher retail.

I do second the recommendation for Opticscamp.com though-Brad is a really good guy who is willing to go the extra mile, and easy to work with, besides having some good deals there too. :cat:

Barry a 6x at this weight would probably be ok to hold for you. I have used my Leupold 6x30 in the vehicle while my wife was driving with good results.

I see the 8x32 model also has a "pinky" focuser. Not my cup 'o tea. The pinky ring Joe Pesci gave me would get in the way. ;)

I'm glad Beth finds the Opti useable, but too bad about the Katmai's stiff focuser, and I was surprised that Leupold couldn't fix it, maybe because it's a discontinued model and they no longer have replacement parts. The Katmai's optics are supposed to be very good.

The only small and lightweight bin I've liked so far has been the 8x30 M7. I would like one of those (with fully painted parts!). The "open hinge" design leaves plenty room for my fingers to wrap around. I thought their light weight of 15 oz, would create a problem with the shakes, but it didn't, but I don't think I would limbo lower than 20 oz. in a closed bridge roof.

Brock

Barry a 6x at this weight would probably be ok to hold for you. I have used my Leupold 6x30 in the vehicle while my wife was driving with good results.

Yes, Steve, maybe that would be true with a 6x, but I doubt with an 8x for me. Of course, I could be wrong, since Brock found with the M7, that he could manage that lightweight bin alright without the DT's (and thanks for that input, Brock). I can manage 10x with a decent weight, though my ability to hold it still comes and goes-when I'm tired, or when I've only been up a short time, I have more trouble.

Oh, isn't that a trip!-looking through bins while someone else drives?!! I did it not long ago while my brother-in-law drove, as I surveyed the terrain in the Delaware Water Gap National Rec Area on the NJ side, with my EO Ranger 6x32's, which are about 19oz though. It's a very strange feeling, if you're looking ahead on the road, and you get the view of a moving telephoto, along with the compression of the image-it's a bit dizzying at times! Nice farmland/wooded scenery though, but no eagles to be found, I was sorry to (not) see.

It's good to see that more American dealers are beginning to carry opticron. I've noticed that Adorama seems to be carrying them too, although they don't appear on the official authorized dealer's list.

Hi Bob,

I have looked at these, esp. the 8x32 model and would love to try them!! I like the idea of the weight! I sure wish EO would send one out for us to try. Or Frank.;)

Steve,

I guess these Traveller are exactly same bins as Burris Signature series(also made in Japan). Once owned the improved Signature Select 8x42. They are very very sharp and good contrast. I sold them only because of average (narrow?) FOV. Optically they are comparable to sub-$1000 bins.

The latest version of Signature Select (with the focuser at the normal position) could be seen at the auction site once in awhile. New old stock, I guess, asking for some $200 (8x32). Might buy again since they are really good.

Photo attached is the 1st version of Burris signature.

Andy

Attachments

• BU300183.jpg
    BU300183.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 69
Hi Andy,

Yes, that Burris sure looks like the Opticon Traveller just a little different color. I don't know if any of the local, well local for us 40+ miles away shops might have this or not. Thanks for posting the picture!

Barry I agree with your assessment of the view through binoculars in a vehicle.:-O

Hi Bob,

I have actually used all three configurations on several occasions. I will have an opportunity to try them all again in about a month as I am heading down to Cape May's Autumn Festival and they are a registered dealer as well.

Hi Bob,

The one I am interested in is the 6 x 32. I like the light weight and all of them have long enough eye relief but the 6x has the wide FOV. I wonder what its edges are like? I might get one. My 11 year old EO 6x32 Platinum is long in the tooth. I will wait for Franks report from Cape May.

Bob

Don't Judge A Binoc By Its Cover

I've noticed that Adorama seems to be carrying them too, although they don't appear on the official authorized dealer's list.

We only just started to set up our full range of products with Adorama so we've not yet added them to the official dealer list but they are taking orders for Opticron products already.

We will have some news regarding some of the other well-respected US optics sellers in the coming weeks.

Regarding the similarity to the Burris or other models. The exterior of a product does not define the whole. The current version of the Traveller benefits from an entirely re-engineered chassis and there have been a number of optical updates applied over its life as an Opticron product.

During our recent trip to Photokina, new models at 8x30/32 were definitely a hot topic for discussion. We did have some fun putting together our Xmas wish list in the halls of the Köln Messe...

"Dear Santa

Could you please make us, in time for spring migration 2015, several thousand lightweight (under 16oz), 8x32 binoculars with 8.3 degree (or more) field of view and top notch ED optics that we can sell for under $400.

We've been very good this year and always do the washing up and take out the trash.

From Opticron"

:)

Cheers, Pete

"Dear Santa

Could you please make us, in time for spring migration 2015, several thousand lightweight (under 16oz), 8x32 binoculars with 8.3 degree (or more) field of view and top notch ED optics that we can sell for under $400.

We've been very good this year and always do the washing up and take out the trash.

From Opticron"

:)

Cheers, Pete

(In typical Birdforum fashion...) I think you shouldn't have said that Pete. Now the rumor is going to start floating around that Pete Gamby said Opticron is coming out with a lightweight 8x32 similar to the Nikon M7. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back