• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pools viewed from trainline? (1 Viewer)

oncebittern86

Hi all

I viewed some pools/ a working quarry from the Norwich to London line just before Ipswich (well several miles before). They looked like a prime birding spot and I wondered of anybody could enlighten me?

Joe

Hi all

I viewed some pools/ a working quarry from the Norwich to London line just before Ipswich (well several miles before). They looked like a prime birding spot and I wondered of anybody could enlighten me?

Joe

There are a series of lakes/pools along the Gipping Valley from gravel extraction. Some have been turned in to amenity & conservation lakes, others fishing and new gravel extraction sites still continuing. They start at Needham Market, and then at Baylham and Barham and some at Bramford. Typical inland wetland bird species - ducks and Great Crested Grebe. Some get a bit of wader passage, generally the newer ones with birds like Green and Common Sandpiper and Little Ringed Plover. Bit of Tern passage in the Spring, the occasional Osprey and a Ferruginous Duck turned up on one about 3 years ago and Goosander can do to.

Many a nice spot for a walk and general birding. Part of it used to be my patch 30 years ago, but I don't visit much these days.

Gi

Thanks for this info. I've done some research and I think I might get a train to Ipswich or Needham and walk the Gipping valley river walk. I'm concerned I'm going to end up on the wrong side of the river though!

Thanks for this info. I've done some research and I think I might get a train to Ipswich or Needham and walk the Gipping valley river walk. I'm concerned I'm going to end up on the wrong side of the river though!

Yes some trains stop at Needham which is best option, the lake by the station has path all the way round. The river footpath is easy to follow and will take you past various lakes, riverside wood and fields. Here's some info worth looking at - River Gipping Trust

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back