• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

iPhone 5s (1 Viewer)

Paul,

Maybe is the easiest answer to your question.

I think it depends on what level of detail you are shooting for. Some of my pics display very acceptable levels of detail....assuming you aren't enlarging it substantially. None of my pics yield the type of detail I see from some of the DSLR produced images available on the net. I was chalking it up to the fact that I am using a smaller objective scope and lower magnification. In other words, I need to get closer to the birds. ;)

I didn't really notice an issue with contrast. My experience is that it might relate to the scope you are pairing it with. Different coatings would yield different contrast results in my opinion.

Of course there also is all that wonderful editing software that is now part of IOS 8.

Thanks for your reply frank I'm using a kowa 884 and yes maybe I need to be closer and expecting too much from it at longer distances. It is only a phone censor at the end of the day.

Paul,

If you aren't getting acceptable levels of detail with the Kowa 884 then I would definitely lay the blame at the feet of the Iphone.

Just to give some point of reference, I took the pic below with the 5S and the Opticron MM3 50 mm the other day. The distance was literally 20 feet so atmospheric distortion shouldn't be a consideration. I also focused the scope on the bird first before mounting the Iphone to it and then using the autofocus on the Iphone. In my opinion the sharpness is good but not excellent.

I have to downsize the image to get it to fit into the forum but will include a link to the pic on my Flickr page where it is full-sized. I have done nothing to the image in terms of processing. This is exactly how it looked coming out of the phone.

Keep in mind that it was overcast that day. ;)

https://flic.kr/p/pC4PuK

Attachments

• gegret.jpg
    gegret.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Hi Paul,

If you have a look through my blog, you will find many Phonescoped pictures, some using the iphone 4S and the most recent ones, the iphone 5. There is video taken with the iPhone through the scope too. Hope this helps you decide if phonescoping is for you.

http://moochersmoor.blogspot.co.uk

Regards

Moocher.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 105
Thank you both for your input, there are some great pics there and I must say I'm probably getting the same detail and sharpness. Looks like I'm expecting too much from the phone. With previous digiscope experience and now a dslr and being able to crop an image. I'll post some example shots later when I'm on the pc or share a link.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back