• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How rare is Broad-billed Hummer in CA? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi all,
I had a 99% observation of a female of this species by Morro Bay today. I did not get a photo, that is where the missing 1% comes in. How rare is this in South-central CA?

Niels

Niels, I've seen a distribution map that shows Broad-billed as vagrant 1/2 way between L.A. and San Francisco on the coast. So would say it could be there.

Thank you both. I do not have notes that will allow me to send to CBRC I think: no photos and only a very sketchy description from a relatively short encounter.

Niels

It is worth posting to the local list serve at least so others can keep an eye out. It may not stay but at least people can be aware of the possibility.

The sort of questions to ask would be how did you rule out the other species, for instance female black-chinned which can look quite long-billed and smudgy.

The main character for me was the presence of a post-ocular stripe going back from the eye and down at the rear edge of the auriculars. This stripe was pale compared to the surroundings, including paler than the dusky-green area just in front of it. It was, however, not pure white. The bird gave me an impression of being larger than Anna's, but not as large as e.g., Magnificent.

I have experience with all of the species mentioned in this thread from past encounters.

Vim, please post, and you can make all the reservations about my ability as a bird watcher that you might want to.

The exact location was in the Morro Bay SP, between the campground and the marina, very close to the entry to the campground.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back