• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Whitethroat (?) - Algarve (1 Viewer)

Larkrise

Just returned from golfing/birding trip to the algarve with my wife. On looking through her photographs I noticed what appears to me to be a Lesser Whitethroat which I understand is relatively rare in this part of the world. I will happily give more information on when and where but have posted photographs for anyone to check my id.

Attachments

• lesser-whitethroat-1.jpg
    lesser-whitethroat-1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Lesser-Whitethroat-2.jpg
    Lesser-Whitethroat-2.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 140
I think it's a female Sardinian warbler, which is presumably regular down there- there's no 'mask' as you'd see on Lesser Whitethroat.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks for the replies Richard and James. I thought it highly unlikely that we had seen a real rarity for the Algarve but I couldn't convince myself that it was a female Sardinian either - it just seemed a bit different to the sardinians we had seen on many occasions and I was perhaps letting the lack of a red/brownish red eye ring or red orbital ring lead me away from a more likely candidate.

Have since shown photographs to a couple of birding pals and each suggested lesser whitethroat on initial inspection but weren't 100% sure!

Thanks again

Hello,

the bird you photographed is a juvenile Subalpine Warbler (Sylvia cantillans) a frequent passage migrant in coastal areas during September and October. When not familiar with this bird, it is often confused with a Lesser Whitethroat, which is a mega rarity here with less then 5 records for this country.

Regards, Georg

Subby

Just returned from golfing/birding trip to the algarve with my wife. On looking through her photographs I noticed what appears to me to be a Lesser Whitethroat which I understand is relatively rare in this part of the world. I will happily give more information on when and where but have posted photographs for anyone to check my id.

I would be interested to know where you saw the bird, if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks

Thanks Georg - I am certainly not familiar with juvenile subalpine and can see why it is possible to confuse with lesser whitethroat - thank you for your reply. Birdforum members to the rescue again!

Mick - the bird was seen adjacent to the old hide overlooking the lake in between the 8th and 17th tees on San Lorenzo golf course - part of the Rio Formosa nature reserve. This is a superb location with purple gallinules everywhere and almost guaranteed little bittern plus other good birds about.

Subby

Thanks Georg - I am certainly not familiar with juvenile subalpine and can see why it is possible to confuse with lesser whitethroat - thank you for your reply. Birdforum members to the rescue again!

Mick - the bird was seen adjacent to the old hide overlooking the lake in between the 8th and 17th tees on San Lorenzo golf course - part of the Rio Formosa nature reserve. This is a superb location with purple gallinules everywhere and almost guaranteed little bittern plus other good birds about.

Sadly nothing exciting to speak of at San Lorenzo, when we were there on a very windy Sunday 12 October. As you say the last couple of years we;ve had little bittern male and female, no problem plus lots of passerines in the woods.
Even the estuary drew a blank with only distant views of waders.

We were however greatfull that it stayed dry that day, as the Portugese Masters final day, only a couple of K's up the road, was abandoned due to heavy rain and water logged greens. The trophy being awarded to the leader, Alexander Lévy.

We did however get cracking views of crested tits.

Thanks for the update.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back