• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Burd findin help in southern CA (1 Viewer)

roxby

Hi All

I have already received a good deal of help with certain target species in California. I wonder if anyone can help with reliable sites for the following species as close to LAX as possible or on route between Los Angeles and Pheonix.....

Lawrence's Goldfinch

Lewis's Woodpecker

Red Winged Blackbird

As always any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Redwing blackbird should be in any wetter area.
The only place I have personally seen Lawrence's Goldfinch was in Anza Borrego
Lewis's Woody is not necessarily that easy.

Anyway, for those type of single species requests, ebird.org really is your best friend, especially if you change the dates to only show you recent records.

A couple of good locations along the way LA to AZ are Joshua Tree Natl Mon and Big Morongo Canyon Preserve. The imperial dam area along Colorado river between CA and AZ should also be good.

Niels

As an example, here is the ebird map for Lewis's Woody limited to the second half of 2014: http://ebird.org/ebird/map/lewwoo?n...h=true&gp=true&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=7&emo=12&yr=cur

Last edited:
Lewis' Woodpeckers are about right now. We are getting reports frequently, as mentioned, eBird or LACobirds is your best bet.

Lawrences Goldfinch - Sepulveda Basin, Bonelli Park / HorseThief Canyon. Several Spots along Highway 166 in Kern County. These are hit and miss right now too, but they are around.

Use the ebird map I linked to above and change species sighted. Change date range to only include from October 1.

Niels

Tri-colored are totally hit and miss right now. Where there should have been hundreds, recently, I had four.

Riverside County is much easier to find them. I would look for Tri-coloreds on eBird. I have had singles the last few months in Ballona up along the riparian corridor and at the Fresh Water Marsh. Otherwise, they have been more elusive than they are regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back