• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kiwi spotting (1 Viewer)

Ojeff

During February/March 2014, I headed to New Zealand for a rather long trip in this mythical country.Of course one of my goals was to spot Kiwis. But it proved to be very tricky. What makes it very difficult to spot is that Kiwis are almost entirely nocturnal and live in forest areas.

My first spotting was at Zealandia, a sanctuary located close to downtown Wellington. During a night Walk, I spotted a Little Spotted Kiwi – Apteryx owenii. The walk was lighted with a red-flashlight and it was not great for photos. Once at home, I converted to black and white with Photoshop.

Little Spotted Kiwi - Jerome Guillaumot.jpg

My second spotting was at Stewart Island during a night walk on a remote beach. The species here is a Stewart Island Brown Kiwi – Apteryx australis lawryi.

Stewart Island Brown Kiwi - Jerome Guillaumot.jpg

Later on at Stewart Island I had a strange encounter with a Kiwi which came very close to me. You can read more of this story and watch my videos here.

Jerome

Last edited:
Jerome,

Thanks for posting this. I had forgotten that there are kiwis so close to downtown Wellington. Was the night walk easy to arrange?

Allen

Last edited:
Jerome

Nice write up and great pictures considering. I saw the Stewart Island Kiwis on the beach in 2009 - a superb trip.

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back