• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kyushu in December (1 Viewer)

Petri

Hi! Planning to visit Japan, one of my favorite destinations, in December, I would be grateful for some site information on Kyushu.

I am primarily looking for two species:

1. Japanese (Green) Woodpecker

Having so far failed with this species, last time in June in Chiba, any site in addition to the Mi-ike car park would be of interest for me.

2. Copper Pheasant

Any specific areas/sites I could try?n I would be ready to invest up to two days on the pheasant, but would need to be able to reduce the searching area a bit. Mi-ike and Aya have them, but would somebody have more specific knowledge between Fukuoka and Miyazaki?

Please...

Replying myself

Hi again,

it seems that I need to reply myself. The same thing about kantori group, which I have tried to join couple of times, but there has not even been a reply from the owner. I guess I am not welcome there...

Well, the trip to Kyushu went very well (returned 1st of Jan). I saw Japanese Green Woodpeckers at Miike campsite entrance forest, the species (incredibly!) being the sixth last Japanese land bird on my list.

And yes, after two days and two hours of search, a splendid male ijimae Copper Pheasant was seen at close range, in bright morning sun, against dark background, roadside at the Aya Gorge road. This is the road 26 which runs W of Aya, W of Miyzaki, one or two lanes. The exact location was between km37 and km38, before Kobayashi City 16 km sign, on the left by a small yellow sign promoting nature conservation in Japanese. I did the road three times, mid afternoon, dusk and morning, scoring at 9 AM.

Two more pheasants were seen at a steep cliff with thorny bushes at Miike. More details will eventually follow in a trip report.

A good number of vagrants and scarce winter species were also discovered. It was major frustration to not be able to inform the locals about them, or to ask for local information. Not even in Arasaki, where I had expected to find t least one professional birder/ornithologist.

In two case, I could make an alarm by showing my photos to guys who clearly were birders, and who could speak few words in English.

The 'goodies' in this category included, and will probably still remain :

- A drake American Wigeon at Arasaki, at the channel between Arasaki and Kohama, together with Wigeons.
- A pair of Baer's Pochard at Arasaki, at the 'Warabi Island Pond' . Another drake at Miike.
- A Forest Wagtail at Miike campsite.
- An adult female Blue Rock Thrush, presumably pandoo, at Hosojima Bay, N shore, Cape Hyuga.

Common Starlings were plentiful, the largest flock being 50 birds.

Local information may not be available, but that is not going to stop me delivering information from a visitor's point of view.

Petri

Forgot to mention, that after seeing the woodpecker and pheasant, I now miss only four Japanese land birds: Japanese Night Heron, Swinhoe's Rail, Bonin Honeyeater and Yellow Bunting. Any information or contcts in regard to the first two would be most welcome!

Petri

Should have checked the text before submitting. The Cape Hyuga Blue Rock Thrush was an adult male, not a femle.

Petri

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back