• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk visit (1 Viewer)

markgrubb

Leading a life of quiet desperation
My brother and I will be visiting Norfolk for 3 days(Sat-Mon) at the end of April. We are both fairly new to birdwatching having had a keen interest for a year or so.

The choice of places to go seems almost overwhelming. We have also heard that some of the better known places can be extremely busy. Do any of the locals have recommendations for what would be good at that time of year?

markgrubb said:
My brother and I will be visiting Norfolk for 3 days(Sat-Mon) at the end of April. We are both fairly new to birdwatching having had a keen interest for a year or so.

The choice of places to go seems almost overwhelming. We have also heard that some of the better known places can be extremely busy. Do any of the locals have recommendations for what would be good at that time of year?

Norfolk is never really busy. My own favourite is Cley (rhymes with eye) and of course Titchwell, Holme, Blakeney, etc, but don't neglect working the hedgerows and coastal fields and finding your own birds.

Buy a copy of the Where To Watch books..Norfolk or East Anglia.

Just be careful that you don't try do too many places.

You can't call yourself a real birdwatcher till you've done the Cley to Blakeney shingle walk. Just make sure you are moderately fit!!!!

David Bryant should post on this one.

John.

dbradnum said:
The possibilities are endless! Are there any target species you particularly want to see?

No particular targets in mind.We live in edinburgh, mostly bird at Musselburgh on the east coast so have become familiar with common waders/coastal birds. We would ideally not wish to travel huge distances. We both enjoy raptors so harriers might be an idea........

My personal favourite place for getting good views of Marsh Harriers is the tower hide at Strumpshaw RSPB, though a bit of time at any of Cley or Titchwell ought to guarantee decent sightings.

On the subject of "Where to watch..." type books for Norfolk, I reckon the best one is by Neil Glenn; see <here> for a review. I like it because it features a number of less well known sites (e.g. Alderfen Broad, if I remember right) - if you're keen to see good birds away from the masses, there should be plenty of ideas here.

Do you know where you will be staying?

dbradnum said:
My personal favourite place for getting good views of Marsh Harriers is the tower hide at Strumpshaw RSPB, though a bit of time at any of Cley or Titchwell ought to guarantee decent sightings.

On the subject of "Where to watch..." type books for Norfolk, I reckon the best one is by Neil Glenn; see <here> for a review. I like it because it features a number of less well known sites (e.g. Alderfen Broad, if I remember right) - if you're keen to see good birds away from the masses, there should be plenty of ideas here.

Do you know where you will be staying?

Thanks for your help and advice. Places to stay are not arranged yet-I thought we would firm up places to visit and then book accomodation

Accommodation shouldn’t be a problem as many establishments around the coast will be gearing up for the forthcoming holiday season, so early 'bums in beds' - as they say in the holiday trade - will be most welcome!

Last edited:
dbradnum said:

Thanks for your tip. Got the Neil Glenn book. It is really very good with clear directions and a good idea of what you might realistically see. It almost makes it harder to decide where to go though! spoilt for choice

markgrubb said:
Got the Neil Glenn book... It almost makes it harder to decide where to go though! spoilt for choice
I know exactly what you mean! Even though I'm a Norfolk lad, there are a few sites in there that I'd not visited until I got hold of the book - I had to race round a few of them when I was home last Christmas!

Give me a shout if you want a few more tips, or have any questions - I'm always happy to talk about Norfolk birding, stuck down here in landlocked (relatively) birdless Herts!

David

On the spur of the moment I've decided to spend Friday and Saturday in Norfolk - first time up there. I'm staying in Titchwell on Friday night and was wondering if there are any places somebody could recommend for a good spot to sit and watch as evening falls. And also an early morning (6 am) walk.

Since the path down to the beach at Titchwell is a public right of way, there is always access to the RSPB reserve (unlike Minsmere, for example, where the access gate can be closed) - an evening visit to the reserve is likely to offer very good birding, without as many people as usual, though it won't ever be deserted! The evening light is gorgeous at times - see Nigel Blake's website for plenty of stunning photos taken there.

Early morning just up the road at Choseley should be very peaceful - should be lots of singing farmland birds (Corn Bunt, Yellowhammer, Skylarks, etc, and a good chance of Little Owl, Grey Partridge, Hares).

Similarly, an early morning wander through the park at Holkham could be good - plenty of scope for early migrants, as well as resident woodpeckers (all three species), Nuthatch, and the mythical Hawfinches. It's a big area, so you won't be bumping into many people.

Let me know if you want more details on the above.

Have a good weekend!

David

hollis_f said:
On the spur of the moment I've decided to spend Friday and Saturday in Norfolk - first time up there. I'm staying in Titchwell on Friday night and was wondering if there are any places somebody could recommend for a good spot to sit and watch as evening falls. And also an early morning (6 am) walk.

Although this recommendation isn't Titchwell; I think dusk at Blakeney is just magical.

The tranquility of the place will stay with you for ever. There are very few places left that mirror the bygone times.

The only thing missing is a shooting brake or a Morris Minor driving down the street with Garrison Keillor or Alistair Cooke on the radio; followed by a beer and Haddock and Chips in the Kings Arms....happy days; roll on May and a stay at my friends in Blakeney.

John.

hollis_f said:

6am is a good time to do the walk to the beach at Titchwell, as IT DOES GET VERY BUSY after breakfast, especially at holiday times such as Easter!!!!!

Holme is a lot quieter (as you have to pay to get in unless you are a Norfolk Trust or NOA member) and a good option for the morning or afternoon.

Bliz

Thanks for all the advice. I arrived at 07:00 Friday morning and decided I'd had enough sitting in the car, so went for a walk down Gypsy Lane (just on the E. edge of Titchwell village). As I arrived at the edge of the small woodland I was treated to two pairs of Marsh Harriers displaying about 20m from the path - stunning!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back