• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rye 22/2/2003 (1 Viewer)

robinm

I have put an entry for Rye in the County by County section. So here is my day 22/2/2003.

There were large numbers of lapwing and fieldfare in the fields on Romney Marsh as we drove down.

Went to Northpoint beach on the as there were reports of a number of Smew on the lake. Unfortunately, a mist made viewing tricky, but did manage to spot a drake goldeneye, several redhead smew and (at last) a drake smew. I think the drake smew and the avocet prove that a black and white bird can be just as beautiful as a gaudily coloured one.

On to Rye Harbour - still a slight mist which gets better as the day goes on, but the hazy sunshine is actually highlighting the birds colours nicely. Large numbers of dunlin and oystercatcher on the shore line, with the odd knot, sanderling and grey plover. The pits had there usual variety of ducks - but only 1 redhead smew.

Watching a large group of fieldfare ona grassy bank when a female sparrowhawk appears over the top of the bank causing total panic. She misses the birds and glides low over the field in view for nearly half a minute before dissappearing from view.

Although my list is quite long, no special rarities. Just a good day's birding in a beautiful location on a beautiful day.

Robin

Day List

Little Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Cormorant
Little Egret
Mute Swan
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
Shelduck
Wigeon
Gadwall
Teal
Mallard
Shoveler
Pochard
Tufted Duck
Goldeneye
Smew
Sparrowhawk
Common Kestrel
Pheasant
Moorhen
Coot
Oystercatcher
Ringed Plover
Grey Plover
Lapwing
Knot
Sanderling
Dunlin
Curlew
Common Redshank
Turnstone
Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Stock Dove
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Green Woodpecker
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Wren
Dunnock
Robin
Stonechat
Blackbird
Fieldfare
Song Thrush
Redwing
Mistle Thrush
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Magpie
Jackdaw
Rook
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting

You have two lifers there for me, can I have them? LOL A nice selection of feathered friends that I'd like to see anytime.

I have only done that reserve once and was very impressed by it. You seemed to have had an excellent day out. The Slav Greebe was a good sighting.

Andrew, what two would have been lifers for you?

Andrew, you need to check through any Pigeons you see in the fields as Stock Doves could be amongst them. They are so easily overlooked.

As you say Robin, 'a good's birding'. Anyone would be pleased with that list, and it sounds like a great day out.

John, I do look through each pigeon even in towns as I want one. I look for the green on the neck without any white on them. Is this right?

Andrew

No white on the wings or rump. Short tail, Smaller black bars on inner wing. Should have a reddish bill with a pale tip. Flight action faster than Woodpigeon which they usually associate with. Woodpigeon is deeper breasted but this can be hard to define in the field.

Does that help?

That's real useful info, thanks. I find it hard to remember so much when looking for new species but do remember more and more clinching details the more I see of a bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back