• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Mexico Advice (1 Viewer)

Hi There .
Have got a solo birding trip planned for February in Western Mexico . PV up to San Blas and then the Durango highway and down thru Colima and Jalisco [ Volcanoes ] and then via Autlan back to the coast and .
The Foreign Office advice is , to say the least , fairly negative about the Durango Highway bit - apart from the new toll road , and not much more encouraging about parts of Jalisco and Colima [ the American version is way more alarming ! ]
Does anyone have a view on this - either amend my route or just go for it !?
Thanks , any help appreciated . Happy Christmas !
Chris H

Autlan I might skip, could be sketchy there, Durango stick to the new toll road, or maybe the old highway between Durango and Mazatlán, I am thinking about San Blas myself for that time of year

Hi Chris

There is a Canadian birder who is thinking about a trip in roughly that área in mid February, we have been kicking around the idea of going together. Where is your flight landing? I know Mexico very well, and have a 4x4 truck. I know most of the áreas to stay away from as well, although those change on a daily basis. I might be interested in San Blas, then the Ilsa Mariettas near Puerto Vallarta, Colima would be fun because of the recent volcanic activity. As well in Durango are some large lakes that the Winter waterfowl collect in, and there are a couple of local birders that I know of. My Canadian friend wanted to go to Lake Chapala near Guadalajarra, but I think he might be flexible. I also know the best snokelling spots as well.

Brian Hall

Hi Brian
Thanks for the response . I land 26/2 and out again 13/3 , so I don't think our dates will match . Assuming not , do any of my planned stops give ' cause for concern ' ?!
Cheers
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back