• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire mini-meet this sunday: Fleet Pond (3 Viewers)

Booga

Wil Wilson
Hampshire mini-meet this morning: Fleet Pond Report

Hi all, just a little report onour meeting this morning at fleet pond.

Redwing, Martinow and I arrived at the carpark at 8.00am to be greeted by Pedro Vanman, Camberley Red and Alan Rymer.

After a round of introductions and getting all the equipment ready we set off through the woods to the Lake. First sighting 4 or five redwing followed almost immediately by a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

I hope one of the guys who noted all the sighting can add to this as I was so engrossed with my first birding with a scope session that I have probably missed out loads!

Long-tailed tit, blue and great tits, chaffinch, siskin and robin all featured as we walked through the woods to the sandbank at the lakeside. Here we set up the scopes and viewed the cormorants, Mute swan, Canada geese and an excellent Great black-backed gull who circled his patch several times. No sign of the Bittern for us here. Saw a heron too.

Next we followed the wooland path, Pedro Vanman was pleased that I 'Guaranteed' a nuthatch or three as he had only previously seen them on feeders birdtables. So you can imagine what an idiot I felt when a nuthatch failed to show where I expected it too. Whilst looking though, we saw a few blue and great tits. Yes guys I know I pointed at that blue tit in excitement and said it's a nuthatch! Wren, goldfinch, chaffinch and goldcrest were seen here too. Highlight here being a sparrowhawk who shot gracefully through the woods at head hight about 15 feet away!

The next piece of woodland was pretty cool too. Alan, pedro and I saw our second Goldcrest, we all saw the Green woodpecker fly through and into a tall Alder. Oh and we finally got the nuthatch. Paul and I pondering on the late show as we both have seen them often before.

Next we set up the scopes on the jetty near Chestnut Grove. everybody was on the scopes and bins searching the reed beds for the elusive bittern. No joy today, but as Rich said, it can be seen better nearer dusk. Watched two magpies bathing in the lake from a willow branch on an island. The green in the tail and the blue really caught the sun. Next a call over to pedro and Alan who were about six feet away from an utterly gorgeous Goldcrest. Really made my day as it flitted ever closer to the group, posed a few times, then flew between us into another tree.

As we walked round the final stratch of the Lake we all commented on how few waterfowl there were, considering the location and habitat. Not always the case as there were loads when I went 2 weeks back.

Back at the carpark we had a chat, agreed that it was a good mornings birding and said our goodbyes and talked about future meetings. Great bunch of guys, cheers for the good company.

Martinow, Redwing and I then went back to my local patch to get the Kingfisher I'm always going on about. Complete no show, although one scary lady who commented on the scopes (and called us twitchers) did says it was about. We went through the woods, goldfinch, chaffinch, greenfinch, goldcrest, long-tailed tit, great and Blue.

All in all a good session, cheers for the trial of the scope Rich, excellent expeience.

Thanks lads.

Last edited:
Booga

Great to meet with you all, and thanks for the tour!. I just turned up without letting anyone know. I wore "The Baseball Cap"!.
My two firsts were the Reed Bunting and eventually Nuthatch!.
I think the following list is complete for the Birds at Fleet Pond:-
In aphabeticall order, Excel doesn't do bird families!. Must write to Bill Gates to complain!.

Black Headed Gull
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Canada Geese
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Coot
Cormorant
Dunnock
Goldfinch
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Greater Black Backed Gull
Greater Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Grey Heron
Jay
Long Tailed Tit
Mallard
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Nuthatch
Pied Wagtail
Redwing
Robin
Siskin
Song Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Wood Pigeon
Wren
Someone saw Shoveller, but not me!.

Goldcrest added later, a lot later ( Monday 24th Feb )

Last edited:
Alan, surely you haven't already forgotten that wonderful little Goldcrest you and Peter spotted by the jetty!!! ;) It was Great to put faces to names, and even names to nicknames.

I'll be sending my address to steve forthwith, nice baseball cap.

Cheers

Sounds like you lot had a great day out. You'll know next time Wil - never promise anything. Birds have a habit of letting you down!

See you at KentBash

I know, I know Peter, but I am learning my lessons hard and fast! I think we need to sort a a BF hant-bash at some point in the, not to distant future. Maybe also a Kingley Vale/West Sussex meet.

I'm so tired now, so might just fall asleep

Many thanks for taking me on your walk vicariously through your report. You got a healthy list and for your sake, thank goodness you got the Nuthatch cos BF members can get pretty violent when they don't get what they are promised!!!! LOL.

Thanks again.

Today at our mini hants bash we heard a reed bunting, ( a first for Alan) I missed it but the jammy git got it!

I have to say, thanks to Paul (Camberlery Red), i was backed up with my knowledge. I'm so desperately sorry that redwing and martinow didn't get to see the Kingfisher that even my non-birding girlfriend feels bad for me, in fact she made dinner tonight. 5th time in 2 years guys!!!!

Andrew, I want to do a bash at some point, in the not too distant future, please be invited!

Last edited:
Fleet pond meet

Hi all
My apologies for the delay in posting on here but i've been extremely busy at work.My thanks go to Booga for setting up this little meet and to Camberley Red,Redwing,Alan Rymer,Martinow and Booga for showing me how little i know about birding.
I thoroughly enjoyed the morning with the lads and it was great to be able to put faces to names.
Happy birding
Peter

B :) B :)

Lovely to read this report, guys - Fleet Pond is a place I know well, and the descriptions really brought back memories. Any sign of the Lesser Spotted at its usual site ?

Tony

Tony, mate we thought we heard it! and after that martin and redwing came back to my woods and still didn't get one! But what rubs it in is that my missus pointed out a woodie on monday morning! Guess what? Yep a lesser!

Bittern Schmittern!, we had a fantastic time, saw loads, some had firsts, I did!, and we made new mates!

It's not going to be the last Hants meets, but I would like to remeber it as the first Hants bash!

Thanks again guys, brilliant session!

PS Pedro, MAN! you showed me some amazing things, I was the junior birder in the group on Sunday! I didn#'t say at the time but I got 14 lifers! now who showed who!

Cheers guys

Brilliant Will

The only thing as satisfying as getting a lifer yourself, is getting them for others.

What were they?

You should have said as maybe some of us didn't think to point out other birds, which may also have been new to you. If i had have know you needed Reed Bunting we could have made a special attempt to find one as they were singing in a few of the areas we visited.

Don't be shy about what you haven't seen, we all started somewhere.

Great to meet you all on Sunday. :t:

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back