• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Restall & Freile field guide (1 Viewer)

gdhunter

NHBS (http://www.nhbs.com/title/182406/birds-of-ecuador) and other (mainly British) booksellers are still estimating December 2015 for the release of Birds of Ecuador: Helm Field Guides by Restall & Freile. In response to my recent inquiry, Bloomsbury Publishing (of which Christopher Helm is a subsidiary) customer service notes a more probable release date of March 2016.

Gary H

Hmmm.
Given that Kevin Zimmer's Birds of Brazil was due out in 2004 and we are still waiting for it, I wouldn't plan on waiting for it. The 'Fieldbook of the Birds of Ecuador' by McMullen and Navarette is decent enough for a trip and light enough to carry.

The 'Fieldbook of the Birds of Ecuador' by McMullen and Navarette is decent enough for a trip and light enough to carry.

I recently had a local book binder separate the Ridgely/Greenfield plates (I have two copies of the field guide, which eases my conscience somewhat) from the text and create two volumes with coiled binding (one with plates for the field, one with text for post-field reference). It's not a bad choice, but anyone else doing the same thing should note that the left margin of the plates isn't very wide and some of the left-margin portraits will be compromised. Ideally a rebound volume with spine would be the best choice, but the difference in cost was too great to ignore.

I also have the fieldbook, and I suspect I'll go to it first in the field. But I also suspect that in more than one instance I'll consult the Ridgely/Greenfield plates. And fortunately I've also arranged for birding guides to spend some time with us at each of our intended destinations. The value of someone with local knowledge and expertise cannot be overestimated; I've found that to be true in Mexico and Costa Rica, at least.

Gary H

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back