• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aousserd (1 Viewer)

metcow333

Hi all,

Just reading a few trip reports, there were some suggestions that a petrol station and maybe some form of accommodation had been built or was being built in Aousserd. Can anyone confirm or deny this please?
Thanks
Ollie

Hi Ollie,

My friend Mohamed Mediani who lives in Dakhla and also a member of the local NGO, Association Nature Initiative confirmed to me these:

- The petrol station does not operate. Best is to fill in at Dakhla, and also take with you petrol in tanks if you want to explore more south of Aousserd or want to spend the night in the field there (that’s what we did in Oct 2010, and what the locals do when they go inland for more than 1 day).

- The accommodation doesn’t exist also (but it’s worth checking if there is anything small).

- Exploring off-the-main road south of Aousserd needs 4x4 cars (also as we did in Oct 2010).

I would add these interesting birding spots in Aousserd other than the well-known Oued Jenna, Sebkhat Imlily and the Dakhla-Aousserd round itself:

- South of Aousserd there are many small rivers/wadis with many Acacia trees. These are like Oued Jenna but at a smaller scale. Sudan Golden Sparrows found in one of these wadis at 10 km south of Aousserd last year. Zoom in and out in this Google Map to see these sites.

- Barrage Boularyah and around: excellent spot. It’s where Thomas Pettersson and Krister Mild found the Sudan Golden Sparrow in 2013. To have a taste of this site see this blog-post about reptiles, birds and mammals of the spot by Mohamed Mediani.

- Bougouffa track: excellent also. See the link where birds but especially mammals are included (Mediani’s blog also). This is the location in Google Maps, where it seems like a bare desert but the pictures in the blog are saying another story. Haven’t visited yet this spot myself.

Good luck to you and to subsequent birders.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back