• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slovenia in Late May (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Hello Everyone!

This is one of what I am forced to confess are my ever more fleeting visits to BirdForum, but I know the mine of information here and I'd like to take advantage, if you'd be kind enough to oblige.

It's been four years since my last visit to Slovenia - too long away - but I've finally got round to organising a return visit.

I'm going in the last two weeks of May, and although I've been lucky enough to visit quite a few times before, I still have a long list of desirable species I'd like to tick off!

As usual, I'll be staying in the heart of Bohinj, but I am hoping to hire a car for the duration, so anywhere in the country is a potential birding location.

As such, here is my wish-list. I'd love to know the best locations for seeing (and perhaps photographing) these birds - if indeed there are any good locations. One common factor you will notice is that most are pretty damn easy to recognise – no tricky raptors, reed-warblers or waders! Obviously, there are no guarantees in this game, and also I guess May might perhaps be a teensy bit early for one or two of the summer visitors, but I'm hoping to boost my life list on this trip. I'm happy to do the necessary legwork, but I'm hoping that you can help me to at least start in the right places.

I've made a special effort to keep my list down to 20. (Please assume "Common", "European", "Eurasian" as appropriate.)

Bee-eater
Hoopoe (I've seen one in Bohinj)
Roller
Alpine Accentor
Alpine Chough
Blue Rock Thrush
Rock Thrush
Bluethroat
Collared Flycatcher
Golden Oriole
Red-breasted Flycatcher
Turtle Dove
Wryneck
Cirl Bunting
Ortolan
Sardinian Warbler
Sub-alpine Warbler
Penduline Tit
Black Woodpecker (also seen one in Bohinj but I can't remember exactly where)
Wallcreeper (I understand it's possible to pick up Wallcreeper on Mangrt, but that's the one place we perhaps wouldn't manage - anywhere else?)

Any advice would be gratefully received, as always, and if I manage to get a half decent photo of anything, I’ll be sure to come back and post to the Gallery.

Many thanks!

Just done a bit of trawling, and re-read some of my previous similar posts, including a very helpful one from more than a decade ago! Some good information, but I'd still gladly take more. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back