• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Sril-Lanka (1 Viewer)

jei

I be in self driving tour to Sri-Lanka next March, visit will last 10 days, and welcome some advice/tips for best places go birding in order to maximize the views.

Any information will be helpful, thanks.

Jei - carefully ckeck out these 2 recent threads (my post in the 2nd) - they'll answer all your Qs...
Cheers,
Andy.

1. Advice on an efficient itinerary please
2. Trip report: Pittas, panters and Leviathan in Sri Lanka - Oct-Nov 2014

Hi Andy

Thanks

Main main concern it's about how difficult is to visit most of the places without local guide.
Will i miss most of the birds?

I'd still suggest that an itinerary similar to ours would work well for you although you’ll need to research sites and directions of course. As it may take you more time to find places and sort out access/permits, you might want to leave something out. Now that’s a bit tricky… The Colombo barbet site is an obvious one I suppose.

We didn’t visit Bundala but that and Yala are probably both good options for an unguided trip.

ATB.

Thanks to all,

One other thing is rent a car in Colombo and make self drive. Been reading some post about it and its common opinion, don't do it.
Anyone here had experience in the subject to give some hints?

Thanks

Joaquim

It's certainly easier than in India (where it's simply impossible to self drive), however it's still very different from driving in Europe. It's much more chaotic, it's (basically) on the left and certainly more dangerous. I would never do it but I also think I'm a bad driver.
Easy on the highway (which is almost empty due to the toll) and easier on the countryside.

André

And there are almost no signposts. Even Sri lankan drivers need to stop occasionally to confirm that they are on the right road.

The driving protocols (who has precedence, especially at junctions and riundabouts) are certainly very different from anywhere in Europe. I doubt that you would be covered by any kind of travel/health insurance either - best to chack in advance. Good luck if you do decide to give it a go

The best places for birding in Sri Lanka ( Specially for the endemics ) are the Sinharaja Rainforest, Kithulgala Rain Forest, Nuwara-Eliya( Victoria Park and Hakgala Botanical Gardens), Horton Plains and Bundala National Park. Most of the Migrants will still be here by march, but the best place to see them is the northern part of the island, specially Mannar and Jaffna.. Let me know if you need any more info..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back