• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some minor additions on 5 eponyms … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some minor additions on five eponyms …

Disclaimer: None of the persons below have been real thoroughly researched, they´re just people I´ve stumbled upon while searching for some Swedish naturalists. I guess they all need some sort of confirmation or verification, at least some double-checking, before claiming any of them as being true, but I thought (now that I happened to find them) they could be worth mentioning (additions under-lined below) .

Of their accuracy… review, criticize or judge yourself ... ok, here goes:

No. 1 – kersteni
● in the subspecies Ploceus bicolor kersteni HARTLAUB & FINSCH 1870
= the German explorer, geographer, chemist and collector (of various Naturalia; birds, reptiles, fishes, insects, flowers, plants etc. etc.) Otto Kersten (1839–1900) … more on him see Wiki (here)

No. 2 – woznesenskii
● in the debated subspecies Xema/Larus sabini woznesenskii PORTENKO 1939 (by some considered syn. of nominate Xema s. sabini).
= most likely the Russian explorer Il'ya Gavrilovich Voznesensky (1816–1871) … or (if anyone prefer to transcribe it differently) in Russian; Илья Гаврилович Вознесенский .

Anyway that´s what I hope is the original version, spelling … and what it says! ;)

No. 3 – birgitae
● in the hard-to-place subspecies Anthreptes griseigularis/malacensis birgitae SALOMONSEN 1953
= the fairy unknown Dane Ruth Birgit Nielsen (1923–2010), wife of the Danish ornithologist (and amateur jazz pianist) Finn Salomonsen (1909–1983)*

*Her (piano tinkling) husband is, for example, commemorated in the subspecies Dicaeum pygmaeum salomonseni PARKES 1962

... and their daughter is Danish Pop-Rock-Jazz singer Sanne Salomsen!

No. 4 – helenae
● in the subspecies Harpactes erythrocephalus helenae MAYR 1941
= the almost unknown, at least among ornithologist's (but fairly well-known in US High Society, in those days), Helen McMahon (Brady) Cutting (1894–1961), widow of the US financier, sportsman and philanthropist James Cox Brady, thereafter (in 1932) married to the US naturalist and explorer C. [Charles] Suydam Cutting (below, No. 5) …

No. 5 – cuttingi
● in the subspecies Delichon nipalense cuttingi MAYR 1941.
= the fairly well-known US naturalist and explorer Charles Suydam Cutting (1889–1972), second husband of No. 4.

Although he was far more famous as being the first Westerner to enter the Forbidden City in Lhasa, Tibet!

---------------

However; that´s them!

I hope.
x

Last edited:
No. 1 – kersteni
● in the subspecies Ploceus bicolor kersteni HARTLAUB & FINSCH 1870
= the German explorer, geographer, chemist and collector (of various Naturalia; birds, reptiles, fishes, insects, flowers, plants etc. etc.) Otto Kersten (1839–1900) … more on him see Wiki (here)
OD Die Vogel Ost-Afrikas - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Wir benennen diese neue Art zu Ehren unseres Freundes Dr. Kersten, dem rühlichst bekannten Reisegefährten Baron v. d. Deckens's, hochverdient duch die anziehende und gehaltvolle Bearbeitung des Reisewerkes.

Dark-backed Weaver ssp. Ploceus bicolor kersteni Hartlaub & Finsch, 1870
Dr Otto Kersten (1839–1900) was a German chemist and traveller. He was with Baron von der Decken in the unsuccessful attempt to climb Mount Kilimanjaro (1862). Kersten published six volumes of memoirs (1869–1879). A reptile is also named after him.

Dr Otto Kersten (1839-1900) German explorer in East Africa 1862-1865 (subsp. Ploceus bicolor).

Just to give his full name Anton Rudolf Otto Kersten. See.

1708641628024.jpg
Other documents marriage etc tell us the same names.

Rieppeleon kerstenii (Peters, 1868) OD 1868 - Monatsberichte der Königlichen Preussische Akademie des Wissenschaften zu Berlin - Biodiversity Heritage Library
In Wanga bei Mombas von Dr. Kersten entdeckt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back