• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

meadow pipits and skylarks (1 Viewer)

terryeyre

over the last week i have seen hundreds of meadow pipits heading north and west and the last couple of days several skylarks heading north looks like they are heading for there spring breeding grounds wherever that may be.

Could well be heading here ...both are strictly summer visitors to this neck of the woods. A late thaw and snow up to the waist means haven't had a single of either yet (or any other potential early migrant)

They'll be heading for the moors of northern England and Scotland, some of the Mipits maybe also for Iceland.

Jos's birds wouldn't be heading up the Pennines like that, they'd be heading east from Kent in they were in Britain at all.

Nutcracker said:
Jos's birds wouldn't be heading up the Pennines like that, they'd be heading east from Kent in they were in Britain at all.

Maybe they're taking in the lights of Blackpool on the way! ;)

Good numbers of Lithuania's birds do winter in the UK though (ringing results), though accept any well-adjusted birds shouldn't be heading west over Alton Towers!!!

Jos Stratford said:
Maybe they're taking in the lights of Blackpool on the way! ;)

Good numbers of Lithuania's birds do winter in the UK though (ringing results), though accept any well-adjusted birds shouldn't be heading west over Alton Towers!!!
just walked home from pub could hear redwings overhead looks like all the winter visitors are moving because it is so warm here

Best get myself out tomorrow then to catch the winter visitors before they all go! Must admit I haven't seen any Fieldfares for about a week or so now...used to ALWAYS be a few flocks of them around here all winter but they seem to have gone *or I'm just not seeing them in front of my nose!!!*

GILL

Up here in NE Scotland the Skylarks arrived about 3 weeks ago while Mipits only turned up last week. Local birds are singing but lots of migrants still passing through.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back