• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marvelous Wellington Boots! (1 Viewer)

trw

Sick and tired of spending a fortune on leather boots which soon leak I bought a pair of Dunlop Wellington Boots[full length] for £9.99 from JB Sports.
They are marvellous!
I tend to go out at least four times a week in often boggy and rough conditions.Walks vary from 1 to 6 miles.
I have used these wellies in appalling weather and they are not only comfortable but fully waterproof.
You definitely need a thick pair of walking socks for extra warmth and comfort.They are so good I bought another pair and alternate their use.
I probably do more walking in harsh wet conditions than most birdwatchers so I can really vouch for these boots.

Yup, know what you mean about leaking boots and the inevitable cold, wet socks! I use Aigle wellies, bought them over in France. Very comfortable, but pretty pricey, so waited for the sales. Can thoroughly recommend them. I also use my trusty Doc Martens; admittedly they're not entirely waterproof, but they do the job, so long as you're not wading through large amounts of water.

Once upon a time when disabled access was not considered important, wellies were essential gear for birdwatchers, even on some "honeypot" sites.
I have never found cold feet a problem with wellies, provided you can wear thick socks with them. I also find a boot jack useful if not essential for getting out of them.

Hunters are renowned for their comfort but I would also look at 'Muck Boots' and their derivatives. These are constructed largely from neoprene (as opposed to thin rubber) with a sturdy, overlaid rubber foot and sole. I have worn both Hunters and Muck Boots over the years and I do most of my birding on foot. The Muck Boots are both warmer - courtesy of the insulating neoprene - and more comfortable than Hunters and seem much more robust. The uppers of Hunters do tend to split eventually; I have not had this problem with my 'Mucks'. Both are equally expensive depending on the style but are definitely well worth the financial outlay.

Nora wellies are used a lot in the farming industry, extremely grippy, very flexible and reasonable price, I personally tried Hunters a long time ago and did not get on that well with them i felt the heel was to narrow and felt unstable.

Mark

The remarkable thing about these boots is they are bog-standard wellie.Cost £9.99 from JB Sports.Nothing fancy,just a pair of runbber boots.
I have been using them in the most trying conditions:muddy fields,long fell walks and walks along the local estuaries.
They have not leaked,rubbed me up the wrong way or caused me to slip.The grip is remarkable and they fully support my feet and ankles.I have been wearing a thick pair of socks which must be firmly tucked in my trousers lest they slip down.
I won't be rushing back to walking boots any time soon!

Six months on I carried on wearing these boots{£9.99 from JJB Sports].
I did two tough fell walks over 2000Ft where it was rough underfoot and sometimes wet and slippy.
They passed the test.Feet comfortable,dry and didn't slip.
I have been using them on m less challenging walks in the fells and boggy areas-I amnot going back to walking boots.
ps-they double as boots AND gaiters-so my trousers remain dry!

Hunters are renowned for their comfort but I would also look at 'Muck Boots' and their derivatives. These are constructed largely from neoprene (as opposed to thin rubber) with a sturdy, overlaid rubber foot and sole. I have worn both Hunters and Muck Boots over the years and I do most of my birding on foot. The Muck Boots are both warmer - courtesy of the insulating neoprene - and more comfortable than Hunters and seem much more robust. The uppers of Hunters do tend to split eventually; I have not had this problem with my 'Mucks'. Both are equally expensive depending on the style but are definitely well worth the financial outlay.

I have been pleased with my Muck Boots and have worn them a lot in cold conditions over the last 2-3 years but I noticed this spring that they have started to crack in several places at once. I've patched them up with some kind of sealant but might need to replace them before I spend two weeks on wet Greenlandic tundra next month.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back