• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My CP4500 USB has died - Help!! (1 Viewer)

creavey

Hello

I have been successfully using my CP4500 for a month or so now - and when I returned from a trip this morning the wretched thing will NOT download to my PC. It also will not recognise the MC-EU1 remote cord. In both cases the monitor comes on - and it continues to act as if no cable is plugged in.

I have changed batteries several times for fully charged ones.

Could I be doing something wrong? Has anybody else had a similar problem with a Coolpix 4500?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance

Thanks

Hi Carl,

Have you tried reinstalling the software on your computer ? I don't know if that could be causing the problem rather than the camera itself.

If it is a problem you can't resolve, you could always use a card reader, which is what I use. The Nikon software recognises the reader as if it was the camera and downloads automatically in the same fashion, only without using the camera power supply and is pretty fast.

I had the same problem recently with my 885. ON closer examination I realised that the port was wobbling in the hole - I probably knocked the cord. It is now away to be mended - which means no camera for a while.

Th other thoing to try is to leave the batteries out overnight until the software reinitialises - you lose any settings you have made.

Good luck,

Robin

Hello
Thanks a lot for your replies.
Ian - I dont think it can be the software on my computer because it wont recognise the MC-EU1 remote cord that I am using either. Good idea about the card reader though - maybe I should invest in one. How much do they cost?
I spoke to Nikon Technical Support this morning - they seemed to think that it is broken - and want it sent back for repair which they said would take about four weeks. Absolute nightmare. So I called Jessops who I bought it from and they have said that they will swop it out - which is really good of them. I am going to Glasgow this weekend (which is a whole days journey from here...) so will be able to do it then.

Robin - thanks very much for that - it is definately not wobbling in the hole - naff though the hole is. I have now taken the batteries out and will leave it for 24 hours to see if that clears it. Doesnt matter about the settings - I had already tried RESET to default to see if it was some button I had pressed. No joy. I had also tried reformatting the 16MB Nikon card to see if that would clear it - but no.

I have a 128MB Jessops card full of lovely pics of White-fronts and teal that I cant get at. Should I leave this in the camera while the batteries are out? Its not going to dump my shots is it?

Cheers

Carl

The card should be safe but I would take it out anyway.

I had just come back from a birding trip to spain when mine went - I bought a card reader (about £20 for a cheap one), because I was impatient to see my shots. I will continue to use this when my camera is fixed because I have never liked the Nikon software anyway.

Glad you are getting a swap - mine was out of warranty.

All the best,

Robin

Hi Robin
I dont like the Nikon software either. I have Windows XP which I find really good. I (used to...) just plug in the camera and XP says, hello, what do you want to do with the photos that you have on that camera - amazing... I am SO frustrated that the wretched thing has gone belly up. I am just coming into a period of serious free time and it is such a shame... I could SCREAM.

Talking of software and free time. Who on earth does all the work on this amazing website? It must take forever to administer and there does not appear to be any advertising support (thank goodness). Is somebody doing it all just for the hell of it?

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

Sounds like Jessops are doing you a good turn. I was lost without my Olympus when it was away for 30 days having a service just before the warranty expired.

I picked up a dual card reader SM/CF for £16 ! I find it far more convenient than plugging in the camera to download photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back