• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focal Length/Magnification (1 Viewer)

kennygee

Am I right in calculating the magnification of my DSLR setup as follows?

EOS 300D - 'crop factor' = X 1.6
300mm Canon lens
Total focal length - 300 X 1.6 = 480mm

Does this give an overall magnification of 480/50 = 9.6, or is the correct calculation 480/35 = 13.7 (when compared to a 35mm film camera)?

I think its the 'crop factor' that is confusing me

The reason I ask is that I am considering the Panasonic FZ20 (12X zoom) as a second camera for holidays/casual use and want to compare the reach in comparison to my DSLR

Cheers

Ken

I just replied to your other post as you were moving this.

50mm focal length of lens = normal = x1 so any multiple of 50 for the lens magnification.

crop factor is the equivalent size of sensor to match 35mm film so the 300D sensor has to be 1.6 x bigger to cover the same area as 35mm film.

which probably makes more sense that way than my last reply.

Thanks Paul and Yossi for your help.

Sorry I confused things with my duplicate thread.

From your replies it looks as though the FZ20 will fit the bill with its 12X zoom compared to my DSLR's 9.6. Sounds great for a light, portable casual setup.

Cheers

Ken

kennygee said:
Thanks Paul and Yossi for your help.

Sorry I confused things with my duplicate thread.

From your replies it looks as though the FZ20 will fit the bill with its 12X zoom compared to my DSLR's 9.6. Sounds great for a light, portable casual setup.

Cheers

Ken
No, the 12x of the FZ20 is 12x the focal length at it's minimum (wide angle) position...which is 36mm, so 12x 36mm = 432mm.
regards,
Andy

kennygee said:
Andy

Does that mean that the Panasonic is 436/50 = X8.72?

Cheers

Ken
Yes. Like I say forget about the 10x, 12x figures given with a camera (it's just 10/12x whatever the min focal length is, and that varies on cameras)... it's the 35mm equivilant focal length at maximum zoom that counts, then divide this by 50 (which isn't really a true 1:1 but just an accepted standard).

regards,
Andy

kennygee said:
I think its the 'crop factor' that is confusing me

I think the 'crop factor' causes a lot of confusion! It is literally just a crop compared to 35mm 'full-frame' - you could achieve just the same effect by doing a 1.6x crop from a 35mm film but there wouldn't be any claims of the lens suddenly turning from a 300mm into a 480mm as often happens (not on BF, I hasten to add!)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back