• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vilamoura (1 Viewer)

Magaff

I have a villa booked close to the Laguna Golf Course in the last week of July this year and wondered if anyone out there can give me some good tips for the best places to go and what I may see in the vicinity. I have a non-birding family and shall not be hiring a car so it shall be early morning walks for me only.

Last year I stayed there and found the two recommended sites, Falesia Lagoon and the Parque Ambiental. Sightings included Little Bittern, Marsh Harrier, Ferruginous Duck, Black Shouldered Kite and Quail.

Am I the best areas or is there anywhere else I could go that may help me see some interesting birds?

Many thanks in advance of any responses.

M

In Vilamoura the 2 sites you mention are just about the only decent birding without hiring a car.
I hired a bike last time I was there, it enabled me to get to the Parque Ambiental quickly, back then you could enter the reserve at any time so I'd just lock the bike up and amble round at stupid o'clock in the morning.
Have a walk around the outskirts of all the golf courses, I have had waxbills on the edges of greens, purple gallinule, black-winged stilts in water hazards and hoopoe in bunkers.

Much appreciated Keith.

I only scratched the surface of Parque Ambiental so I'll spend more time exploring there and shall try to brush up on my warbler calls as there were oodles of Sardinian and Fan Tailed with a few Reed, Great Reed and Sedge. Sure I missed a few though as another birder told me he had seen Orphean as well as Golden Oriole in the Parque. Would Marsh Terns be around in July - I only had Little Terns last year?

Best Regards.

Agree that both Falesia Lagoon and Parque Ambiental are the best two sites in the area. I could happily spend a week exploring the latter. As you are staying near Laguna Golf Course there is a pool just west of the Laguna Golf apartments easily viewable from the road which I found quite productive for early morning visits. Had great views of Purple Gallinule, Ferruginous Duck and Squacco Heron along with the usual Hoopoes, Crested Larks and Cattle Egrets. The pool is this one.

Brian

Thanks for the info guys.

Brian that pool is very close to our accommodation and I spent some time there. I found the Black Shouldered Kite on two mornings close to there on the the telegraph wires.

Nick I was quite lucky with BH Weavers particularly on the dirt road towards the first bird hide at Parque Ambiental. I'll look at purchasing a book to see if there are any other birds or areas that I can possibly seek out this time.

Cheers, M

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back