• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Booster (1 Viewer)

BirderJan

Has anyone tried to hold the Swarovski booster against the 30xsw? How did it work? Image compared to the zoom? I like the wide field of the 30xsw but sometimes I lack high power.
Jan

I have used the booster on my Nikon scope. In an emergency it can make the difference between getting an ID or being left forever wondering..............

With any booster, the key would be to have a simple attachment so you don't have to hold the booster by hand while viewing. If you do hold it by hand, the shake will negate any benefit from the higher power. I have not used the Swaro 2x booster, but have often used a Zeiss 3x12 Classic as a booster on scopes. It is much smaller and lighter, and consequently it is easier to fashion a rubber ring insert for it so you can simply plug it into the extended eyecup. 90x gives you about the maximum magnification you would ever be able to utilize during the day. Compared with a zoom at 60x or a fixed-power high-mag eyepiece, you lose some brightness and contrast (and a fair amount of field, but since you would use the booster only to check on something specific already in your viewfield, this last is not that relevant). Loss in resolution is only margninal, however, since at these powers it is just about always the limits of the objective's resolving power which you are running up against.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back