• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Easiest place for Nutcracker ? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Hi

I still need to see Nutcracker well, having glimpsed just a pair distantly in flight in Poland.

I aim to do a weekend flying in to Zurich, on a Saturday, driving to Niederhorn and catching the cable car up. One night hotel in area (maybe hotel on Niederhorn) then most of Sunday birding before catching evening flight back home.

So several questions:-

1) I know Nutcrackers can be found on Niederhorn, but which month is best to see them between now and August? I was thinking of going early August, but I can find nothing to tell me when they are easiest to find.

2) Is it easy to park a car around the base of the Niederhorn where the cable car starts?

3) To find Nutcracker, is there a specific station I should get off at when at Niederhorn? The mid-areas are suggested.

4) Are Citril Finch easiest around the top station at Niederhorn all year?

5) Are Snowfinch possible at Niederhorn?

6) Are there easier and closer areas to Zurich for "easy" Nutcracker?

Many thanks in advance.

Generally, Nutcrackers are easiest in late August to early September when they are very active and flying to hazel crops. Lie on a deckchair by my cabin at that period and not unusual to have a dozen or so an hour back and fro. Rest of the year, I'm lucky to get one every couple of months, and certainly not from a deckchair

There should be some picnic sites where Nutcrackers learned to pick scraps. Maybe re-post it on a Swiss-centred forum, or search the internet for pictures.

Otherwise, I can recommend only generally Swiss National Park. I heard Nutcrackers there all over the place, even from the car driving on the main lengthwise road. Ca 1,5-2 h from Zurich. Also Lammergeiers, Golden Eagles, Ibex etc.

There should be some picnic sites where Nutcrackers learned to pick scraps. Maybe re-post it on a Swiss-centred forum, or search the internet for pictures.

Otherwise, I can recommend only generally Swiss National Park. I heard Nutcrackers there all over the place, even from the car driving on the main lengthwise road. Ca 1,5-2 h from Zurich. Also Lammergeiers, Golden Eagles, Ibex etc.

Thanks very much Jurek, what month was that may I ask?

In the Alps, Nutcrackers are quite easy in summer (already in July), because they are very vocal. Pinus cembra is their main food source, so no food flights for hazels.
I wouldn't go too early because they can be secretive when breeding.

Last edited:
In the Alps, Nutcrackers are quite easy in summer (already in July), because they are very vocal. Pinus cembra is their main food source, so no food flights for hazels.
I wouldn't go to early because they can be secretive when breeding.

So August should be ok hopefully. Many thanks Xenospiza

August is usually the month I see Nutcracker most often and it's the only time of year I've seen them down around where I live (only 600m asl). I've even watched them from my balcony in late August. They're not predictable where I live at any time but suitable habitat in August and you should be fine.
Best of luck
Tom

ps. Zernez (Swiss National Park) is more like three hours by car from Zürich airport and not possible in 90 minutes to two hours unless some serious speeding is involved. About 2 hours 45 minutes by train

Also try the Aletschwald above Brig; easily accessible by cablecar. Prime Pinus cembra habitat (their favoured food source, far better than hazel). Otherwise, any area with Pinus cembra woods will do.

Attachments

• Picture 105a.jpg
    Picture 105a.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 166
  • Picture 107a.jpg
    Picture 107a.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Also try the Aletschwald above Brig; easily accessible by cablecar.

Yes, the place with the highest Nutcracker densitiy I've been so far. You'll get an overdose there ;)

I've been there last October, which is also excellent for Black Grouse display and Red Deer display (how to say that for deer?). Also saw citril finch. And it has phantastic scenery.

Besides, I think in higher alpine forsts anywhere, its hard to miss Nutcracker at any time of the year. But if this is your main target, go in automn.

Ps: if you go to Aletsch, there is a beautiful guesthouse of ProNatura, it sits right on the edge of the forest. You'll see Nutcrackers and hear the deer from your room ... http://www.pronatura-aletsch.ch/home-en

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8076.JPG
    IMG_8076.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 147
I agree, it's easy to find Nutcracker in summer, so early August is perfectly fine for them.
About your specific questions about Niederhorn:
2) Yes, it's possible to park, you have to pay 5.00 CHF per day (3.40£)
3) At the top you're above the forest, so you can get off at Vorsäss.
4) Yes
5) Possible but very unlikely, it's not high enough.
6) Certainly closer ones yes. Braunwald or Toggenburg (around Wildhaus) are closer to the airport. Other places like Flims are in the same distance but have also Snowfinch (on Cassonsgrat, Nutcracker is down in the forest around the village).

The Swiss National Park is an excellent site for Nutcracker but you need about 3 hours to get there from the airport (with good traffic). Aletschwald is another top spot but you need at least 3.5 hours to Mörel from where you take the cablecar up to Riederalp.

André

2) Is it easy to park a car around the base of the Niederhorn where the cable car starts?

A small addition: I would't bother with car rental but take the train. If you go up on Niederhorn or Aletsch, and stay the night up there, the car won't be of any use. Train/bus connections are good and convenient.
Check http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en

Zurich Airport - Niederhorn top station: 2h54
Zurich Airport - Riederalp West top station (for the Aletsch region): 3h15

I've been there last October, which is also excellent for Black Grouse display and Red Deer display (how to say that for deer?). QUOTE]

Hello Dalat,
In English it's called the Red Deer rut

Photo attached to prove that the much-maligned hazelnut is very popular with Nutcrackers;)

Attachments

• Cassenoix Orange 12 09 10.jpg
    Cassenoix Orange 12 09 10.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 156
Thanks all for the tips and travel advice, really given me some food for thought.

Its a weird bird but its a species that has really caught my imagination. Disappointed I didn't connect in Poland.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back