• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Great Snipe Karevere Slid (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

With cafebirder, I dipped at this site in decent conditions this evening. Other bits and pieces there Black Stork, Common Crane, Osprey, Common Rosefinch, Corncrake, Thrush Nightingale, Marsh Warbler, etc. We're only doing a long weekend so really keen if anyone can confirm whether they have seen the Great Snipes at the site this year. We only have tomorrow night to try again but will be tempted to spend our time doing something else without any positive gen before then.

Many thanks

Paul

Can't answer directly about your Great Snipe, but throughout the Baltic States, this is a very cold late spring and many birds are in depressed numbers or late arriving, displaying, breeding (or both). Was in Estonia last night and a local said exactly much the same, much stuff just delayed or in low numbers.

Whether this applies to the Great Snipe I have no idea.

Last edited:
Great Snipe are lekking there this year. Grass is getting high so it can be difficult to spot them. You need to locate them by sound first and then try to spot one when they jump up. Lek takes place quite late in the evening. Currently no point going before 22 and wait at least till 23.

Thanks for the information Kaarel. Have the Great Snipe tended to be towards the river this year, or do they also appear on the other side of the track (i.e. the south side)? Also, is there a particular spot on the track where it's best to look from?

By the way, I notice there was recently a report of Booted Warbler at Aardla. Do you know whereabouts at Aardla it was and if it's still present? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to advertise details.

So, to answer my own question on the Great Snipe... I visited last night and parked at the 'parking spot' (marked with a parking sign but actually just the verge of the track). From there a rough track leads off through the meadows towards the river, alongside a marshy ditch. The Great Snipe were audible near there from at least 10.20pm. I'm not sure if it's 'officially' allowed to go along this track, although it seems to be used fairly extensively by fishermen, so I guess birders aren't causing any more disturbance than is already being caused! I was expecting to see them jumping up but they didn't seem to be doing so, until I saw one flip up at around 11.15pm. Then two more jumped up and another flew in. They proceeded to jump around regularly until about 11.30pm. It's still just about birdable at that sort of time despite being well after sunset. I couldn't see them at all on the ground, as I guess the vegetation is now too tall. Rather wonderful stuff though.

Any further information on Booted Warblers gratefully received!

Hi Andrew,

Have been quite busy the last few days so haven't had a chance to reply. It is good that you still got the Great Snipes, it is becoming more and more difficult with the high grass.

Booted Warbler was in the NE corner of Aardla wetland. Take the gravel track right from the main road that has a dead end sign. Drive a few hundred meters till you reach crossroads where the main track has a blocking ditch dug into it. Booted Warbler was on the track turning right. I failed to find it a few days ago though so not sure if it is still there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back