• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact range (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

I was looking at compact binoculars with a possible view to buying a pair at some time and was struck that Opticron's top of the line, DAB Oasis 8x, at £299.00 has an objective of 21mm. The larger objective of the next the next one down, is 8x24 and its 15 m eye relief probably rules it out for me. The Verano 8X25 the next product down has better eye relief and is priced at £179.00. This is a significant difference.

Arguably, the Swarovski 8x25 is at or near the top compact alpha, but can be bought,new, for less than £450.00.

I wonder why Opticron does not produce an 8x25 above its current top range compact?

We've been looking very carefully at what we do with the compact range. Sales are nowhere what they were a few years ago, mainly because we've seen on the one hand a move up to 8x32 and on the other a shift in sales of "cheap" compacts to online sales channels and very, very low prices.

As a result, what were mid-market compacts for us (Verano, DBA Oasis) are now usurped by arguably better value for money 8x32s and, as noted, come under pressure from the stunning Swaro compact too.

The BGA T PC still has a place due to the fact that it is very light and can be folded - a true shirt-pocket compact. I doubt there will be a successor model to either the DBA or the Verano once we have sold through the current lines but that's not 100% yet.

Why no 8x25 at £300? As I say, for that money you have a wide choice of very capable, lightweight 8x32 models including our own Traveller BGA Mg.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

I have been using a DBA Oasis 10X25 for the last 4 years. Frankly it has been brilliant. It ha been really hammered in long distance trekking in Patagonia, Atlas Mountains in Morroco, Ethiopia and Kilimanjaro and it has had innumerable bumps skiing. However, not everyone likes 10X because of image shake. I seem to be rather unusual in suffering no shake. However, I could not recommend it more.

Rolstone

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back